American McGee (him of Alice and Akaneiro: Demon Hunters fame) has launched a Kickstarter campaign for an action-adventure set in a warped version of The Wizard Of Oz. Based on the Oz universe created by L. Frank Baum, OZombie certainly looks as twisted and imaginative as you'd expect from the ex-id Software developer.
We've got the trailer, pitch and links after the break.
OZombie casts players as Dorothy, throwing them into a bizarre adventure alongside the Lion and Tin Woodmen to hunt down The Scarecrow's evil legions. The land of Oz, a remote pacific island, exists without conventional Western societal tropes, a land of magical power and discovery that's on the brink of being turned into a nightmarish dictatorship populated by slavish OZombies. As a refugee from a distant land, Dorothy is definitely not in Kansas any more... and will quickly get blood on her hands.
Spicy Horse are seeking $950,000 over the coming month, with just shy of $100,000 already raised. It's pitch time!
OZombie is a narrative-driven action-adventure game set within an alternate version of the Oz universe created by L. Frank Baum. The game's themes and characters are inspired by Baum’s deeply imaginative books (all 14 of them!) then filtered through the story and art treatment you've seen applied to our other games like Alice: Madness Returns and Akaneiro: Demon Hunters.
OZombie will also support a multiplayer mode, which you can unlock after finishing the single player experience. In multiplayer you'll be able to select from a range of player characters and enjoy competitive features like Raids and Tournaments.
Here's a feature list:
The game will...
- Feature a variety of perspectives and game modes with an emphasis on role-playing, tactical combat, exploration and story telling.
- Be developed using Unity 3D technology
- Be delivered to most platforms Unity3D can target, but initially launch on Linux, Mac, PC (Windows) and latest-gen tablets.
- Be localized for play world-wide (EFIGS and more).
- Support offline single-player mode, though you'll need to complete a one-time online registration when you first start.
- Contain NO form of DRM.
- Fight the Scarecrow's demented minions and restore the ruined world of Oz to its former glory.
Interested? Head over to the Kickstarter page for many more details, information on stretch goals and the opportunity to get involved. As always, the ball's in your court.
Many thanks to DivideByZero for bringing this to our attention!