Well, it would appear that the prayers have been answered. BioWare have announced Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut, which will set the company release a free DLC pack that expands upon the rather controversial events at the end of the game.
"Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes," read the announcement from EA.
BioWare's Ray Muzyka said that he hoped this content would provide a good balance between addressing gamers' grievances with the lack of answers in the original ending, and maintaining the artistic integrity of the studio.
"Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding," the good doctor stated. "With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team's artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe."
Executive producer Casey Hudson said that post-launch efforts had been refocused to take consumer feedback into account, adding that the DLC would offer more closure, and a greater level of personalisation.
"We have re-prioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player," Hudson claimed.
The Extended Cut will be available for free on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this summer.
The 'Underneath The Mask' Tali's Face Pack will be available for £12.99/1600 MSP.
Can you smell that? It smells like the vague overtones of something that once lived in victory's wardrobe. Maybe.
UPDATE: Some further details have emerged on the BioWare Blog, further outlining what the new DLC will bring to the table. Check out the mini-FAQ below:
What can fans expect from the Extended Cut DLC?
- For fans who want more closure in Mass Effect 3, the DLC will offer extended scenes that provide additional context and deeper insight to the conclusion of Commander Shepard’s journey.
Are there going to be more/different endings or ending DLCs in the future?
- No. BioWare strongly believes in the team’s artistic vision for the end of this arc of the Mass Effect franchise. The extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned.
What is BioWare adding to the ending with the Extended Cut DLC?
- BioWare will expanding on the ending to Mass Effect 3 by creating additional cinematics and epilogue scenes to the existing ending sequences. The goal of these new scenes is to provide additional clarity and closure to Mass Effect 3.
When will the Extended Cut DLC be available?
- Currently the Extended Cut DLC is planned for this summer, no specific date has been announced at this point.
Why are you releasing the Extended Cut DLC?
- Though we remain committed and are proud of the artistic choices we made in the main game, we are aware that there are some fans who would like more closure to Mass Effect 3. The goal of the DLC is not to provide a new ending to the game, rather to offer fans additional context and answers to the end of Commander Shepard’s story.
So there you have it. Are we proud of the game we made and the team that made it? Hell yes. Are we going to change the ending of the game? No. Do we appreciate the passion and listen to the feedback delivered to us by our fans? Very much so and we are responding.