New Mod Tools Arriving In May
Call Of Duty: Black Ops has a new accolade to add to its growing collection of best-seller list triumphs. The best ever-selling UK and US game is now the top-selling entertainment product of the year, surpassing the likes of Avatar, Toy Story 3 and Inception according to data from the Entertainment Retailers Association.
And there's more good news. Treyarch have confirmed that the long-awaited Black Ops mod tools will finally be available in May. Full details below.
The Entertainment Retailers Association has released new figures detailing the highest-selling entertainment properties of 2010. Whilst movies such as Avatar and Toy Story 3 garnered tremendous numbers of sales, Call Of Duty: Black Ops sailed to victory with over 3.3 million copies sold. Music, unfortunately, managed to get its ass kicked once again, with Take That's Progress album securing (an albeit impressive) 1.9 million sales.
Here's the top ten in full along with sales data for all you stats fans out there.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops [Activision Blizzard] - 3,266,298
- Avatar [20th Century Fox] - 3,001,769
- FIFA 11 [Electronic Arts] - 2,390,231
- Toy Story 3 [Walt Disney Studios] - 2,082,461
- Progress (Take That) [Universal Music] - 1,933,205
- The Twilight Saga: New Moon [Entertainment One] - 1,889,187
- The Twlight Saga: Eclipse [Entertainment One] - 1,334,490
- Inception [Warner Home Video] - 1,328,290
- Just Dance [Ubisoft] - 1,305,338
- 2012 [Sony Pictures] - 1,298,705
It's great to see a videogame on top (accompanied by FIFA 11 and Just Dance) - and we already know that gaming has beaten movies and music for four years running. It ain't a niche hobby any more. [MCV]
In other Black Ops news, Treyarch community manager Josh Olin confirmed that a mod toolkit will be available this May, after "non-trivial" technical issues forced them to hold it back. A strong modding community and a slew of fan-made content will doubtlessly add to its longevity, despite a new Call Of Duty title and Battlefield 3 making a strong play for our free time this holiday season.