A new Nintendo Direct broadcast went live yesterday, focused entirely on the upcoming Super Smash Bros. games for 3DS and Wii U. We've embedded the video above in case you missed it, but here a brief run down of the main points in super digestible form:
- The 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. is set for launch this summer. The Wii U version of Super Smash Bros. will arrive in winter 2014.
- The 3DS version will run at 60 FPS in stereoscopic 3D.
- Greninja -- Froakie's final evolution from Pokemon X/Y -- will join the roster as a playable character on both Wii U and 3DS.
- Four classic, but as-yet unannounced characters were confirmed for the game: Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Yoshi, and Charizard (previously a Poke-Ball character, you can now play as a fire-breathing dino-dragon).
- The 3DS version will come with a new mode called "Smash Run". In this mode, four players will have five minutes to explore a dungeon area, fight monsters and seek out power-ups to enhance their fighters. Once the time is up, the players will duke it out in battle as per usual.
- Sakurai went into enormous detail about the stages available in the game, saying there will be bosses on certain stages.
- Online play will be available in both version of the game, and there are two modes: For Fun and For Glory.
- There will be custom movesets, though not much was said about this.