A little bit of a news crossover piece, this one. Yesterday evening, Kotaku posted up a video - clocking in at just under 8 minutes - which showcased a bunch of encouragingly familiar faces putting on a bit of a show that will no doubt delight Mortal Kombat fans everywhere. Whether it's a live-action trailer arriving as a precursor to the new game that Ed Boon has been muttering about for some time, or whether it's a lengthy prelude to the film reboot idea that Warner Bros. were throwing around a little while back, we know not.
Either way, we're incredibly excited. Forget the rather camp movie adaptations to date (even though the original has a special place in my heart), this is all gritty realism, psychotic killers, gory fatalities, sinister lighting and bone-crunching action. Whatever this trailer is announcing...we want it!
Update 09/06/2010: It has transpired, largely thanks to a series of tweets courtesy of Star Trek: Voyager's Jeri Ryan, who played Sonya Blade in the clip below, that the video is not a trailer for anything in particular at the moment, but rather an independent pitch from director Kevin Tancharoen designed to convey the new perspective he'd like to bring to the series to the suits at Warner Bros.
Gaming Target pulled a few of Ryan's tweets this morning:
- "WOW. I see it's been an interesting day while I was on set without internet access!"
- "Okay, so... Mortal Kombat."
- "It's not a game trailer. Actually was made for the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film."
- "More MK FAQs: I did it as a favor to a friend. No idea yet what WB's reaction to it was. And I'm not sure how you can contact WB..."
- "...(cont.) to push them to make it. But you guys are resourceful...! ;-)"
The fact that this isn't a 'proper' trailer doesn't make this any less exciting at all. It's clear that Tancharoen is really up for rebooting the series in an interesting and kick-ass way. Time for us to make some noise!
[via YouTube] - Props to Dealspwn reader ASL for picking up early on Ryan's news this morning.