Breakthrough indie strategy hit Frozen Synapse has received its first major expansion pack: Frozen Synapse: Red. Contained within the hefty download, players will find riot shields, new modes, 15 new missions, 10 challenges, more music and - for the first time - cooperative play. Trailers, deets and all sorts of treats below.
Here's the feature list, which includes the infamous "red" mode. It turns everything red. Hence the name.
- Full co-op (2 vs. AI) for all single player campaign content
- A new unit (riot shield)
- A new multiplayer game mode (“Upload”)
- Three mutators (gameplay modifiers for advanced users)
- 15-mission single player campaign
- 10 single player challenge missions
- 6 additional music tracks by nervous_testpilot (2 previously available in the Humble Indie Bundle)
- Original music tracks “Deeper” and “Focus” unlocked during gameplay
- “Impeccable Micro”, a free chiptune album from _ensnare_
- The infamous “Red Mode”: it makes things red....
- All online features, including co-op, can be shared between expansion owners and non-owners, meaning that there is no division in the community
“Co-op has been requested for a long time and we are excited about it,” trumpeted Joint Managing Director Paul Taylor, unexpectedly. “Players can share plans, suggest possible enemy movements and ping the map to coordinate their strategies.”
“The next big addition is the riot shield: it’s a support unit which allows players to make better use of the terrain,” he continued, unabashed. “It facilitates some new types of play and also helps to break up stalemates. It also makes a cool ‘schick’ noise. Schick!”