There are twelve days of Christmas, therefore it's only fitting that we run a twelve day retrospective looking at the best this year has had to offer. For the next twelve days expect at least one award to go out each day as we start the process to determine what the best game of 2011 has been .
We've seen the return of some fantastic franchises this year, delighting newcomers and old-timers alike. We've witnessed the birth of some phenomenal new IPs, some of which will find themselves celebrated shortly today. It's been a year where content has proved king, games increasingly looking to tick boxes that appeal to the widest range of consumers for the longest possible time.
We'll come to the big fat over-the-shoulder editorial that bids farewell to this strange up-and-down year at the end of the month. But, for now, let us revel in the delights of the most exciting industry on the planet. You can check out the timetable below and, as usual, you'll be able to cast your own votes too. Let us know what you've thought of 2011, grab a mince pie, make sure your mulled wine is within arm's reach, and settle in for some debate.
- December 19th - Best New IP
- December 20th - Best Multiplayer Game
- December 21st - Best Driving/Racing Game
- December 22nd - Best Platform/Puzzle Game
- December 23rd - Best Strategy Game
- December 24th - Best Sports Game
- December 25th - Best Download/Marketplace Game
- December 26th - Best Indie Game & Best Handheld/Mobile Game
- December 27th - Best RPG
- December 28th - Best Shooter
- December 29th - Best Action Game
- December 30th - Game of the Year 2011 & Most Anticipated for 2012
It's time for the games of this year to step into the Thunderdome, championing your virtual investments and grinding your opponents' faces into the dust made by their games as you blow them up with your explosive opinions and nuclear rhetoric. With few releases during these cold December days it's time to warm ourselves by the fires of opinionated smack talk.