What a year it's been! It's seems that every single day has brought with it a new surprising headline. But in amongst all of the PR gaffes, next-gen smack talk, overblown events, and the usual slew of industry gossip and controversy, some cracking games actually got released! Not only that, two new consoles also hit the shelves towards the year's end and blew us all away.
Anyway, as the release river turns into a dirt valley and we prepare for the festive season, it's time to dish out some awards. We've already published our Staff Picks and held court in our final podcast of the season to hand out some less mainstream awards (Beard of the Year, anyone?) and you can find those links below. But you'll also find the timetable for the next few days. The listings will all become linkified (yep, we're inventing new words) as the articles go live, and they'll all have category votes so you can get involved, culminating in the big community vote for the Readers' Choice Game of the Year 2013 as December shuts up shop.
LET'S DO THIS!
- December 23rd - Best New IP & Best Multiplayer
- December 24th - Best Driving/Racing Game & Five Best Games For Christmas Day
- December 25th - Best Fighting Game & Best Sports Game
- December 26th - Best Marketplace Game & Best Indie Game
- December 27th - Best Platform/Puzzle Game & Best Strategy Game
- December 28th - Best Portable Game & Best RPG
- December 29th - Best Shooter & Best Action Adventure Game
- December 30th - Game of the Year & Community GOTY 2013 Poll
- December 31st - Underdogs of 2013 & Year in Review Editorial
- January 1st - Most Anticipated for 2014
So there it is, ladies and gents. Time to dust off that soapbox, fill up on some double-barrelled rhetoric, prepare your throwing knives of razor sharp wit and cogent argument. The 2013 Thunderdome is open and it's time for an opinionated free for all. It's looking like a chilly winter, so let's warm ourselves up with some fiery debates and work ourselves up into a hot mess.