Adds All New Experience System For Top Players
Not content with delivering the cracking RAAM's Shadow just a week or so ago, Epic Games have another post-release reward for Gears of War 3 fans in the New Year, with the 'Fenix Rising' map pack set for release on January 17th, 2012. Adding "five spectacular new multiplayer maps", Fenix Rising also introduces an all new experience system to reward seasoned players who've reached level 100.
So, before we dive in to the all new 'Re-Up' system which provides veterans with even more rewards and accomplishments to pursue, Fenix Rising also adds no less than five new maps for fans to test their mettle on.
- Academy: The lineage of the Fenix family can be traced back along a distinguished line of military officers. Officer training at the Oracle Academy was simply the expected path for Marcus, and he had visited the grounds many times in expectation that he would walk the same path as his ancestors. But it was not to be, and Marcus broke with tradition to be with his best friends Dom and Carlos. Like any number of fine Seran traditions, the Academy is now lost to the invasion of the Locust Horde
- Anvil: The fortress of Anvegad was called Anvil Gate because its impenetrable walls were forged in the fires of war. Huge cannons sat atop battlements that guarded sprawling walls running the line of the UIR borders. Marcus went there to find Hoffman, and they both thought that Anvil Gate would offer protection from the incoming forces of Locust and Lambent. They were wrong, and little remains other than the ruined shell of a once mighty fortress.
- Depths: The excessive opulence of Azura defied all normal reasoning. Adam Fenix however could see the cracks in the veneer of splendor from the moment he arrived at this underwater processing center. All that beauty mattered not at all once he was held captive by the Locust. Out of options, he had to find a way to contact Marcus, and finally reveal the truths he’d been keeping to himself for all these many years .
- Escalation: Haldane Hall has been the home of the Fenix family for countless generations. But the only history that matters to Marcus are his memories of warm summer evenings spent with his mother, Elain, relaxing in the estate’s gardens. Sadly, all the estate’s history and beauty was lost when the Locust destroyed it in an attempt to kidnap his father.
- The Slab: Convicted for insubordination and treason, Marcus was incarcerated in Jacinto Maximum Security Prison. Known as “The Slab”, this prison is not a correctional facility - it’s a place where Sera’s worst offenders are locked up and forgotten. The inmates are brutal, parole is not an option, and the average life expectancy is about two years. But that was before the Locust showed up, and what couldn’t get worse, suddenly did. Now your life expectancy there is around 2 minutes.
But what's most enticing about Fenix Rising is the new option to 'Re-Up'. Essentially, it's akin to the Prestige option in Call of Duty, wherein upon reaching maximum rank, you can reset your level and progression and begin anew. So, if you've reached level 100 in Gears 3, purchasing Fenix Rising grants you the option to 'Re-Up', resetting rank and experience.
But what's the incentive for resetting your hard-earned statistics? Well, you can 'Re-Up' a maximum of three times, and each time you do, you'll be awarded a new rank icon colour. If you're level 100 and haven't 'Re-Upped' yet, you'll be Bronze; 'Re-Up' once, Red; again, Green; and last, Gold. Furthermore, each successful 'Re-Up' grants you a weapon skin set "that cannot be obtained by any other means".
- Re-Up Plasma: Animated flowing plasma in gold
- Re-Up Omen: Shiny, red Omen
- Re-Up Electric: Animated, golden electric shocks
But wait; there's more! Not content with adding five new maps, new experience systems and weapon sets, Epic have also included four all new multiplayer characters.
Recruit Clayton: Clayton was born a Gear, grew up a Gear, and on the very day he became eligible, he signed himself up to become the capable, confident, and devoted Gear he’d always known he could be
Thrashball Cole (Limited Edition): The Cole Train prefers to take the most direct path to the Locust Horde in any situation. What he lacks in finesse, he makes up in raw energy
Savage Marauder: Locust Marauders were the first to form any sort of organisation outside of the Hollow – if their brutal infighting and bloodthirsty raiding parties could truly be called organised
Savage Kantus (Limited Edition): The Savage Kantus were profoundly impacted by the loss of the Hollow. They have reverted to a primal, shamanistic state, and their battle cries have taken a dark, melancholy turn. Few sounds are as terrifying to human ears
The 'Fenix Rising' map pack is due on January 17th, 2012, with owners of the Gears of War 3 Season Pass able to download it for free upon release.