Microsoft dropped a few bombshells this week by removing the pay wall for streaming apps and putting it in front of their Games with Gold ownership policy instead. They also finally unveiled a Kinect-less Xbox One bundle and 'officially' announced Halo 5: Guardians, although the new shooter won't be here until next year. Much like The Division, which was pushed back for more dev time, but thankfully we will be playing the newly-unveiled Far Cry 4 later this year. Nintendo admitted they were already hard at work on new hardware, which doesn't inspire much confidence. Sony joined the collection of face-palm moments with more controversy over, you guessed it, DriveClub. Can we have some goddamned common sense in the news from the big three next week please?
It wouldn't be a Reviews section without something lunatic-flavoured from Japan, which is where JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle comes in. We also have verdicts on the infinitely more polite Sir, You Are Being Hunted. Activision slightly surprised us by releasing a not-rubbish movie tie-in with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and we also covered Titanfall's Expedition DLC and Super Time Force on the Xbox One.
This week was always going to be about our new video feature, Challenge Carl. This inaugural episode saw him trying to reach the top half of the leaderboard in a round of Titanfall... with a joystick. More sensible video output this week saw the likes of Nether, System Shock 2 and WildStar. Previews of the hottest unreleased games include Valiant Hearts and Always Sometimes Monsters. Other articles see the team pay homage to the late H.R. Giger with a Top 10 Unsettling Video Game Creations, a comment piece on the new Xbox boss, a look at how Mario Kart 8 may not be the answer to Nintendo's problems after all, a Sunday Seven on how Sony might win E3 2014 and the usual news podcast and Reload shows.
- Be Advised: Titanfall back on top of the UK charts: New DLC available too.
- Don't fear the reaper (of souls) - Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition dated for August: Console looting awaits.
- E3 2014: All The Press Conference Details | Save The Date & Put The Coffee On: Not long before gaming's Superbowl lands.
- See Titanfall's Expedition DLC Maps in new trailer: Check out Jon's review too.
- Is Microsoft about to drop Xbox Live's silly streaming paywall? [UPDATE: It's Happening!]: About time too.
- Microsoft will sell Xbox One without Kinect after all - BREAKING NEWS: Bad news for devs working on Kinect titles.
- Nintendo already has a "clear idea" about their next console, but won't abandon Wii U: Sounds like they've already drowned it in the bath.
- Weekly deals & free games coming to Xbox One Gold Members - with a caveat: Games require ongoing subs, like PS+.
- Duke Nukem RPG gets new female lead, becomes Bombshell: Wow, this looks worse than I expected (so, super bad).
- Philips seeks to halt Wii U & Wii sales over "deliberate" patent infringement: Not the fastest lawsuit ever.
- Far Cry 4 confirmed for cross-gen: prepare for Himalayan hijinks!: An odd setting, but we can't wait to see more. No seriously, where's the trailer?
- Halo 5: Guardians coming to Xbox One in 2015, but our "journey" begins this year: Translation: Please buy Halo 2 again for £40.
- U-Turns, Lies & Microtransactions - DriveClub's Comedy Of Errors: These guys really need to get their PR bullshit in line.
- Driveclub gameplay tears up the Canadian countryside: Looks pretty, but safe.
- The Division delayed during predictably grim Ubisoft financials: But the next 12 months could be great for Ubi.
- Road Redemption Gets New Gameplay Footage: Road Rash returns?!
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle Review | Making Sense Is Overrated: Makes Street Fighter look like an episode of Downton Abbey.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Review | Webbed Wonder or Missed Marvel?: Better than you'd expect. Just.
- Sir, You Are Being Hunted Review | Those Dark Robotic Mills: Patience required for this very 'British' game.
- Super Time Force Review | Army Of YOU: The hottest new SHMUP?
- Titanfall: Expedition Review | Be Advised: A worthy purchase?
- Dealspwn Reload | Gaming SitRep - 12/05/14: Carl reloads the week's news.
- Together For-Nether #8 - Locked & loaded: Last one. Promise.
- A Moral Quagmire - There's no Right or Wrong in Always Sometimes Monsters: Take a look if you enjoyed Papers, Please.
- In Memoriam... A Top Ten Of Unsettling Video Game Creations In Honour Of H. R. Giger: Where's Don Mattrick?
- COMMENT | Phil Spencer: Saviour of Xbox?: Not until he stops wearing t-shirts with suit jackets he's not.
- Valiant Hearts Is Too Brave To Exist, But We're So Glad It Does | Hands-On Preview: Ubisoft pushing expectations again? We approve.
- WildStar Open Beta - PvP in Walatiki Temple | Dealspwn Playthrough: A threat to WoW and LoL?
- COMMENT | A single game could save the Wii U, but Mario Kart 8 is not it: Sooooo, it's fucked then?
- Game Night | System Shock 2: Before there was Bioshock...
- Challenge Carl | #1: Titanfall... with a joystick: Can Carl do the impossible?
- PODCAST | Has Microsoft killed Kinect... and do we even care?: Yes, and no.
- Game Buzz | Episode 76 - Nice Guy Phil: The love-in starts here for the new Xbox boss.
- The Sunday Seven: Ways for Sony to Win E3 2014: Shoot, I should have included let MS do it for them again.