We may have actually had a week without any Microsoft next-gen rumours for a change which is probably a good thing for them. Nintendo and the 3DS have won this week with a seriously impressive set of displays from the likes of a sequel to Zelda: A Link to the Past, new Donkey Kong and Yoshi titles and a new adventure from Mario and Luigi. In other news, Criterion said they're moving away from racing games, Bethesda reaffirmed support for single-player titles and FIFA 14 started to tease us with next season's tactics.
In the reviews, we finally got to play Lego City Undercover on the Wii U and Fire: Emblem Awakening on the 3DS, both of which made us even more impressed with Team Nintendo this week. It's so going to be worth buying a Wii U in a few years if they can make a few more like this. In the other reviews, Matt tries his hands at surgery, Carl takes a few early steps into Defiance and I play the hidden-object game Voodoo Chronicles, sure it's not action-packed, but I didn't have to shoot any rocks in the name of progress (hello Defiance!).
In the features department Jon played the Brave New World DLC for Civilization V and talked to the devs too. Matt showed us his surgery skills in a video and also penned a feature about why voice-over continuity is important. We have the usual selection of podcasts too talking about all the week's hottest news and releases. Finally, I throw gaming brands together whether they like it or not in my Sunday Seven feature, Most Wanted Gaming Crossovers.
- UK Games Charts | 13th April 2013: Lara's gunning for Elizabeth again.
- Mirror's Edge Modded For Oculus Rift: More of this please, Scientists.
- 2K Marin Turns Turtle On XCOM Shooter: Signs point to game being cancelled or a renaming.
- NHL '14 Trailer Gets Its Skates On: Drunk, bearded Canadians brawling.
- Fans Petition For Original Thief Voice Actor To Return: Not. Gonna. Happen.
- REPORT: Hilco Looking To Cut 400 HMV Jobs: Troubles not yet over.
- Walton: Publishers See Devs As "Replaceable Meat Puppets": Just like every industry ever then?
- Bethesda "Moving On" From Skyrim DLC To Focus On Next Game: GOTY version ahead?
- Criterion Boosting Away From Racing Games: It's not Black 2 next either.
- Denny: PS4 Pricing To Appeal To "As Broad A Gaming Audience As Possible": A cheaper launch than PS3?
- Bethesda: "Single-Player Games Aren't Going Anywhere": Hopefully true.
- Firaxis: Brave New World DLC To 'Finish Off The Civilization V Experience': Devs looking towards next in the series then?
- Bethesda: Pre-Owned Games "A Concern": I traded in my copy of Skyrim. There's nothing you can do Bethesda.
- Firaxis: Fans Prefer "Big Fat Expansions" To Piecemeal DLC: AKA value for money.
- Ubisoft Montreal: "The Audience Is Ready" For Always-Online Hardware: I think you'll find they're really not.
- Second Metro: Last Light Survival Guide Dwells On Subterranean Horrors: If it moves, it wants to kill you.
- Sacred Citadel Launch Trailer: Beat em' up made of want.
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Gets Totally Rad Live Action Short: Stupid. Stupidly awesome that is.
- Huge Soul Sacrifice Demo Hits Vita Today: Jesus, where's my Vita?
- PS Plus May Update Includes Catherine & Sine Mora: Oddball titles this month to go with Hitman.
- Office Of Fair Trading Launches Investigation Into In-App Purchases: You're a moron if you let your child loose on your phone with a credit card and deserve all the massive bills they rack up.
- FIFA 14 Reveal Blowout: Get Your Screenshots & Details Here: Curved lofted through balls and FIFA 13 going for cheap among the highlights.
- Wii U Spring System Update & Virtual Console Out Next Week: Oh dear, this is a Wii U release highlight.
- Zelda: A Link To The Past Sequel Coming To 3DS: Maintains retro visuals with a modern twist.
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Dated For July: Plumbers back in action.
- Nintendo Direct 3DS Roundup: New Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong, Bravely Default, Zelda & More: And the Vita has....
- Julian Gollop: Firaxis "Saved" XCOM From 2K's "Schizophrenic Approach": High praise from the creator.
- Halo 4 Update To Tweak Weapon Damage: Boomstick tweaking ahead.
- Capcom: "Decline In Quality Due To Excessive Outsourcing": Basically, fuck you Ninja Theory. Charming.
- Report: Whore Of The Orient Fails To Find Publisher, Ex-L.A. Noire Devs Hit With Layoffs: No way, and with such a nice title?
- Platinum's Minami Details Sales Struggles: With a Wii U exclusive next, expect more misery.
- New Star Trek Vid Shows Off Impressive Production Values: We all know it's got 6/10 at best written all over it though.
- Volition: "Gamers Crave Unique Experiences": We're glad Saints Row found a home that understands the brand.
- Watch 10 Minutes Of Zelda: A Link To The Past 2: Your next essential pre-order?
- Nintendo: The 3DS "Is Really Going To Take Off" This Year: With Zelda, Mario and Pokemon ahead, they're probably right.
- Shinji Mikami's New Game Is... The Evil Within: It's a survival horror game. That's all we know.
- Confirmed: Sega Are Remaking Castle of Illusion: Wish granted. Street of Rage next please.
- Bidding Ends on Remaining THQ IPs: Will Darksiders find a new owner?
- Voodoo Chronicles: The First Sign Review: Hidden objects game is cheap fun.
- Signal Ops Review | Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Why?!: Some neat ideas, but poorly put together.
- Lego City: Undercover | Is It Much Cop?: Yes, it's a lot of cop. Good cop.
- Fire Emblem Awakening Review | Love & Death: Jon loves this to death.
- Defiance Review | Part 1 – Initial Impressions: Needs more variety to avoid a 'meh' rating.
- Surgeon Simulator 2013 Review | Doctor, Doctor: Urm, where does this go?
- Black Ops II: Uprising DLC Review | Whole Liotta Fun: I want this. I just don't want to spend £10 on it.
- Civilization V: Brave New World Preview | Culture Vulture: Looking to get out of SimCity already?
- Civilization V: Brave New World Interview | Tourism, Tomb Raiding & The Future Of Civ: A chat about the world of Civ V's latest expansion.
- The Voice | Why Legacy And Continuity In Vocal Work Is Such A Big Deal: In the wake of Thief 4 and the new Metal Gear, Matt looks at the importance of voice-over work.
- Dealspwn Playthrough | Surgeon Simulator 2013: Wanna be a Leeds Hospital surgeon? Try this first. It's cheaper than medical school.
- Game Buzz | Episode 28 - Ta-daaaa!: The new 3DS lineup impresses during the podcast.
- PWNCAST | Season 3: Episode 13 - Free For All: Are free-to-play titles still awful or have times changed?
- The Sunday Seven: Most Wanted Gaming Crossovers: Game worlds collide in my deluded imagination.