A quiet week in the news this week as the industry recovers from the grueling events of Germany's Gamescom. Nintendo did find time to unveil the 2DS, a 2D version of the 3DS. It looks like a waterproof Fisher Price tablet, but it could work for some. Elsewhere, Microsoft finally converted their store to real money like the rest of the grown up world. Bethesda's push for them to allow non-gold members to play The Elder Scrolls Online may be too much of an ask though. Just want to enjoy some footage? Well there's a lot of cool trailers too for the likes of GTA V, Kingdom Hearts HD and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. Now only if we had the time and cash to play them all.
The big names have finally started to turn up in our reviews section. We have the verdicts on The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, which needed a serious touch of Don Draper's creativity in the final third. It's a good thing then that Rayman Legends arrived at the office with ludicrous amount of colour, creativity and downright awesomness. Suda 51's latest sticky-offering, Killer is Dead, rubbed itself allover Jon to lower the tone once again. My Splinter Cell: Blacklist review is coming early next week, fingers crossed there won't be any stealthy gigolo missions.
Our extensive Gamescom coverage continues in the features too. There are lots of video interviews for games like the mighty Titanfall, The Longest Journey, Star Citizen, NBA 2K13 and Guild Wars 2. We have a few Opening Scenes videos too, giving you a look at how The Bureau and Rayman Legends begin along with a couple of Game Buzz podcasts discussing the hottest topics of the week. Game of the month makes a return too and there's a chance to win a copy of August's top title. Enjoy the links after the break, I'll see you next week.
- UK Games Charts | 24th August 2013: Sam or Saints at the top?
- PS4 & Vita: Cross-Platform Party Chat Confirmed: For free too.
- Xbox One Controller Stripped Bare In New Video: Somebody broke one already.
- RIP Microsoft Points, Long Live Local Currency: Good riddance.
- Bethesda "Pushing" Microsoft To Let Xbox Live Silver Members Play The Elder Scrolls Online: Good luck with that.
- EA: Battlefield vs Call Of Duty Rivalry Is "Good For The Industry": We'd have to agree.
- Cerny Expects PS4 Devs To Really Hit Their Stride In "Three Or Four" Years: That's one way to calm down pre-orders.
- FFXIV: A Realm Reborn So Popular Square Have Stopped Selling Digital Versions: Trouble already?
- Borderlands 2 GOTY Edition Announced: Not as cheap we'd like. Yet.
- Nintendo Announce 2DS Handheld Console: Looks like a child's first tablet.
- BioWare Lift Lid On The Dragon Age Keep: Lets players create a story save file for the new game. Excellent idea.
- Watch Grand Theft Auto V: The Official Trailer Here: Bye bye free time.
- PES 2014: No Spanish Stadia, Some Spanish Teams Missing, Rain Absent Too: EA pinched the lot.
- Actor Chat! Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe Talk About Roles In Beyond: Two Souls: Expectations reaching boiling point now.
- Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Trailer: 2D gameplay but maintains that Arkham feel we love.
- Rainbow Six Vegas and Magic 2013 Free For Xbox Gold Subs: Hey Microsoft, why not just give us a dildo and we can go fuck ourselves already?
- Kingdom Hearts HD Gets New Combat Trailer: Hmm, my GTA V time may be threatened.
- Dev Diary - Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII: I love Lightning, I just don't like her games.
- The Wonderful 101 Review | Platinum Unleashed!: One of the better game on the dying console.
- Killer Is Dead Review | Style Is Substance: Suda tries to make us whores? No dice.
- Rayman Legends Review | LEGEN... Wait For It... DARY!: Platformer of the generation?
- Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends Of The Titan Review | Old-School Class: Grinding goodness on the 3DS.
- The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Review | Little Green Mad Men: All's not quite well near Roswell.
- NBA 2K14 Hands-On Preview | King James' Baller Bible: Matt sinks some time into his favourite sporting franchise.
- NBA 2K14 Interview | Chris Snyder Talks Features, AI, and LeBron: Discover why LeBron is more than a cover star.
- Opening Scenes | Rayman Legends Gameplay - First 15 Mins: Look how awesome!
- COMMENT | I Want An Xbox One, But Really Wish I Didn't: Jon signs up to the dark side.
- Star Citizen Interview | Chris Roberts On The Hangar Module: Carl meets his hero. Almost kidnaps him.
- Guild Wars 2 Interview | Isaiah Cartwright On Living Story & WvW: GW2's still going strong, find out why.
- Titanfall Video Interview | Respawn's Abbie Heppe On Guns, Jetpacks, and Mechs: It hurts that it'll be about five years before I own this.
- Opening Scenes | The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Gameplay - First 25 Mins: See how promising it starts before all they grey kicks in.
- Dealspwn Playthrough | Star Citizen - Hangar Module: Carl shows us around his new digs. There's no beer in the fridge though.
- Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Interview | Dag Scheve & Ragnar Tørnquist: Contains more Wang than you'd expect.
- Dark Souls II Interview | Tak Miyazoe: My suggested question of 'Why's your game such a douche' isn't used.
- Game Buzz Extra | Gamescom 2013 - The Post-Mortem: Matt and Carl pull apart the Gamescom's carcass.
- Game Buzz | Episode 44 - Nintendo's 3D U-Turn: Nintendo? That's funny, we usually spell that 'Microsoft.'
- Game of the Month | August 2013: Pfft, to all of them. Tales of Xillia for me.