Some big news stories hit the news desk this week causing varying degrees of emotion. Kevin Spacey's face is all over Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (cautious optimism), Nintendo are giving away a free game with Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U (super elated) and Evolution announced that the PS Plus Edition of DriveClub is much nowhere near the near-complete version promised in earlier interviews (super sad). Be sure to check out the links below for all these stories and more.
Japan's been deluging Jon with review code again this week (not that he's complaining) and he's hammered away at them to bring you verdicts on Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day, Croixleur Sigma and Demon Gaze -the latter's name always makes me smirk childishly when said aloud. We also have some rather disappointed verdicts on the likes of Starlight Inception, War of the Vikings and The Elder Scrolls Online. So, I felt rather smug when I didn't have to review any pap this week, instead getting to cover the exceptional, Child of Light.
In the busy Features section we have pieces on WildStar, Secrets of Grindea, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Disney Infinity 2.0 and videos for Nosgoth and Lords of the Black Son. A double whammy of podcasts this week sees the usual Game Buzz joined by a team roundtable on The Elder Scrolls Online. Elsewhere we've put together articles on the importance of the latest capture-liberating PS4 patch, the awesome Ninty Mario Kart 8 promo, a Top 10 Mario Kart items piece and a look at why gamers with memory capacities superior to a goldfish should perhaps be feeling a little misled by the new details of DriveClub PS Plus Edition.
- Titanfootball tops the UK Charts again, EA dominates top ten: New games please.
- Mass Effect Trilogy tipped for PS4 & Xbox One - but do we actually want it?: Depends on the price.
- Destiny reveals co-op strikes in new gameplay trailers: Can't come soon enough.
- 'TV TV TV!' - Xbox Original programming revealed: Not likely to trouble Netflix.
- Nintendo won't hold an E3 press conference this year, schedules digital showcase: So out of touch.
- Delayed DriveClub finally gets a release date... in October: But that's not the full story...
- Dim the DualShock 4 light bar & fire up the capture box with PS4 firmware update 1.70: Finally!
- Surprise Mario Kart 8 Nintendo Direct reveals awesome free game promotion: Nice!
- Dust: An Elysian Tail & Saints Row The Third are May's Xbox Live 'Games With Gold': The best month yet!
- There's no stopping Sony's PS4 indie love-fest!: Yay, let's pay top prices for old PC games!
- Stealth Inc 2 is Wii U exclusive, massively expands gameplay: Fingers crossed it's a timed exclusive for the dev's sake.
- DriveClub's free PS+ Edition has 10 cars, 5 tracks, is "hardly a demo": He's right, it's more of a rug-pulling 'fuck you'.
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare's debut trailer goes a little House of Cards: Kevin Spacey gets a rubbery makeover.
- Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day Review | 80% Anime, 20% Suda: That's about as much Suda as I can stand.
- Starlight Inception Review | Wrong Commander: Just, no.
- The Elder Scrolls Online Review | All The World's A Stage: A stage with a rental fee.
- Croixleur Sigma Review | Two Girls, One Tower, Take Two: More for the anime gaming fan.
- War of the Vikings Review | Pillaged Potential: It's no War of the Roses.
- Demon Gaze Review | Strong, Smart & Dangerously Sexy: And er, pant-sniffing?
- Child of Light Review - A Fairy Tale Ending?: Decent downloadable RPGs do exist!
- Game Buzz | Episode 74 - Nintendo FTW!: E3 snub aside that is.
- Dealspwn Reload | Gaming SitRep - 28/04/14: The week that was from Carl.
- WildStar's Endgame | Stephan Frost on Warplots, Hardcore Raids, and the Final Stretch: Enough for your monthly subs?
- Raiding Nexus - WildStar Endgame Preview: Apparently some raids are too tough even for the dev team.
- Better Late Than Never: Why Sony's Abandonment of HDCP Matters: Because it should have been there in the first place?
- The Elder Scrolls Online Podcast | An Opportunity Missed: The team discuss TESO.
- Top Ten Game-Changing Mario Kart Items: Where's Bullet Bill?!
- Disney Infinity 2.0 will add Marvel characters, but where's the classic Disney content?: Sadly, unlikely to happen with the focus on modern/Pixar content.
- Secrets Of Grindea Makes Grinding Fun | Steam Beta Preview: Much-praised Scandinavian title approaches release.
- Ninty comes out swinging after the Wii U's false start: But is it already too late?
- Game Night | Nosgoth: The team play the new online vamp title.
- Let's Play... Lords of the Black Sun (or The Game Formely Known As Star Lords): Check out the extensive gameplay footage.
- Taking Narrative Cues From Netflix | Murdered: Soul Suspect Preview: Hopefully more LA Noire than Beyond: Two Souls.
- Is Sony Slapping PS Plus Members in the Face with DriveClub?: Yes, although apparently everyone's forgotten what was promised last year. #GoldfishMemories