Sony have been celebrating a highly successful PS4 launch this week as the new console smashed records around the world. Microsoft have been a bit quieter about their sales figures, but at least they're battering the Wii U. But who isn't? PS4 may have the numbers, but Xboner's will have Peggle 2 by the end of the year, which a big win in these parts.
As promised, we got stuck into the next-gen reviews this week and have brought you the verdicts on Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2K14, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Need for Speed: Rivals, the PS4 console itself and Contrast.
We've taken a long look back over the PS3/Xbox 360 generation of gaming to bring you several staff roundtable articles on Best Game, Favourite Game, Highlight, Disappointment and Next-Gen Wish. We also have a Top Ten DLC of the generation, an article on promises this-gen broke and a piece on why Killzone on PS4 was such a letdown. There's more (we've been busy), Jon compiled a list of games that were almost great, but ultimately fell a little flat and also a list of improvements the Xbox One needs patched in ASAP. Carl's been rounding up the latest WildStar info and he recorded some video evidence as he bravely entered the Dark Souls II beta again, this time to take on the Red Phantom. To end the week I penned a Sunday Seven on some survival tips for Killzone: Shadow Fall.
- PS4 Crushes UK Records & Rivals | Break Out The Blue Bunting, But The Hard Work Starts Next Year: Despite a modest launch lineup too.
- Peggle 2 Out Next Week, Extreme Fever Grips Xbox One: The one we've been waiting for.
- PS4 Sells 2.1 Million Consoles Worldwide, Sony Thanks The Fans: Now can we have some games please?
- "Xbox, It's On" - Xbox One Comes Out Swinging With International Indie Cred: Jon lists the indie studios working on the Xbone.
- New Ogre and Stryder Titanfall Rigs Revealed: Heavy or light? Awesomeness either way.
- Dead Rising 3 Review | Essential Fun On Xbox One: Jon kills all the zombies.
- PlayStation 4 Review | Awaiting Greatness: Matt's puts the PS4 through its paces.
- Killzone: Shadow Fall Review | Stunning But Soulless: I agree, it was a bit of a letdown.
- Forza Motorsport 5 Review | Drive Shiny: Makes GT6 owners sad.
- Need For Speed: Rivals Review | Nearly Next-Gen: Stick with the PS3/360 version.
- Zoo Tycoon Review | Kinect With The Animals: One for the family, but pricey for what it is.
- NBA 2K14 PS4 Review | BALLIN'!: Worth the extra cash?
- Contrast PS4 Review | Shadow Starlets: Short but sweet.
- Game of the Month | November 2013: A busy month.
- Staff Picks: The Best Games of the Last Generation - PS3 | Wii | Xbox 360: Amy for Matt?
- Dealspwn Playthrough | Dark Souls II Beta Part 6 - Return Of The Red Phantom: Part 6? Damn this was a big beta.
- SURPRISE! Meet the Medic of WildStar in the latest DevSpeak video: You'll want to make friends with these.
- Staff Picks: Favourite Games of the Last Generation – PS3 | Wii | Xbox 360: The ones we keep coming back to.
- Top Ten Tuesdays | Xbox One Improvements We Need ASAP: No time for rest now, MS.
- WildStar Class Drop Wrap-Up | Week 4 – (Re)Introducing The Stalker: Carl give us the latest info drop.
- Killzone: Shadow Fall Is All Filler, No Killer... And It's All Our Fault: Well, I'm blaming the devs first. Then me for buying it.
- Staff Picks: Biggest Disappointments of the Generation – PS3 | Wii | Xbox 360: The bits that made us sad.
- COMMENT | No Cigar: Games That Could Have Been Great, But Weren't: Next-gen revivals for any of these?
- Staff Picks: Best Moment/Highlight of the Generation: Our fondest moments from this generation.
- Best DLC Of The Generation | Top Ten Downloadable Delights: Oh Criterion, you used to be cool.
- Staff Picks: The Wishlist For Next-Gen: Cheaper digital prices damnit!
- Unfinished Business: Things We Were Promised Last-Generation, But Never Arrived: Agent! Where the hell is that thing?
- The Sunday Seven: Survival Tips for Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer: I would have said stop sprinting everywhere, but I can't follow my own advice there. FOR GLORY! Oh, I'm dead again.