What a time we've had with the news this week. The Xbox One finally got a concrete release and Microsoft even promised to have stock available at launch. They even pledged to support the 360 for another three years, although given its current lack of love, we think owners better get on the next-gen train soon. Sony confirmed the PS4 will do voice-recognition, but didn't make a song and dance about it, probably because mobile phones have had the tech for years and it's not as revolutionary as many tentpole-sporting execs would have you believe. What else? Well, Hideo Kojima royally put his foot (or penis) in it via twitter when talking about making his characters more erotic for marketing purposes and Final Fantasy XIV continued to be a royal mess of truly predictable proportions. Next week: Nintendo moan about not having friends.
Our Splinter Cell: Blacklist review crept out of the shadows to steal a 9/10 score, while the eagerly-awaited Killzone: Mercenary on the Vita made a good, if not exceptional, handheld FPS. We had a few surprisingly good efforts from One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2, Spelunky, Real Boxing and Total War II: Rome. Race the Sun with its paper-airplane bird thingy wanted to be our indie fling for the week, but it only got as far as the bin.
The Gamescom coverage continues with an interview and hands-on session for Assassin's Creed IV along with more previews for Wolfenstein: The New Order, Lego Marvel Super Heroes and a WildStar interview. Matt also chatted with the team behind EVE: Valkyrie and even tried the game with the Oculus Rift. And finally, Carl set up a camera so you could see his face while playing Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. Will he crack and show you his fear? You'll have to watch to find out.
- UK Games Charts | 31st August 2013: Can Rayman make a dent?
- Sony Confirms PS4 Voice Recognition: But doesn't make a song and dance of it.
- Microsoft: IllumiRoom Projector Concept Is Too Pricey To Market: Looks interesting, but yeah, expensive.
- Nintendo: "No Plans" For Wii U Ambassador Programme: It's your own fault if you bought one with that lineup.
- GAME Guarantees £40 Trade-Up For Next-Gen CoD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4 & FIFA 14: £10 for the upgrade? Nice.
- Woeful Broadband Speeds Holding Back PS4 Gaikai In Europe: We had our doubts.
- Rayman Legends Vita Version Missing 28 Levels: But they'll be patched in.
- Final Fantasy XIV Players Given 7 Free Days To Make Up For Server Woes: Still crossing fingers for F2P.
- Timesplitters Rewind Fan Project 'Pretty Confident' About PS4 Release: The ultimate fan project gets closer?
- Report: Sony To Unveil PS4 Virtual Reality Headset: Hopefully better than the awful 3D headset.
- Microsoft Turned Down Heavy Rain: Surprised?
- Mehdi: Xbox 360 To Last For Three More Years: But the exclusives dried up long ago.
- Xbox One Release Date Announced: One week before the PS4 in the UK.
- Sony To Refund All Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn PSN Customers: Sony sensibly cutting their loses.
- Kojima: MGS 5 Characters Will Be "More Erotic" To Encourage TGS Cosplay: Suda51 hacks Kojima's Twitter?
- Watch Dogs Closed-Door Gameplay Walkthrough Now Available For All: See, no point spending all that money on flights.
- Beyond: Two Souls Getting "Generous" Pre-Release Demo: We're eager to try before we buy.
- Kojima's "Erotic" MGS V Tweet Was Supposed To Read "Sexy," Says Translator: Oh, because that's better. Morons.
- Microsoft On Forza 5 & Ryse: There's 'Nothing Better On A Competing Platform': Because God of War is only on PS3.
- Ryse: Son Of Rome Video Explores Combat: Looks better, but way too much slo-mo.
- Microsoft Promises Xbox One Stock Will Be Available At Launch: That's a big promise.
- Capcom Release 70 Minute 'I Am Street Fighter' Documentary on YouTube: Learn the history of the best fighting series out there.
- Metal Gear Solid 5: Making Quiet 3D Scan Video: Damage control after Kojima's Tweets.
- Leaked Logos Show Unannounced Ubisoft Titles: HD port of the Vita's Assassin's Creed game?
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 Review | Gomu Gomu YES: Enjoy the rubber-limbed madness.
- Real Boxing Vita Review | Boxing Clever?: A good boxing game. But still just boxing.
- Total War: Rome II Review | Alea Iacta Est: Flawed, but scrapes a victory.
- Killzone: Mercenary Review | Get Rich Or Die Trying: The best FPS on Vita, obviously.
- Spelunky Review | Mine Over Matter: Platforming for masochists.
- Race The Sun Review | Polygonic Spree: Is that a paper airplane?
- Splinter Cell: Blacklist Review | Sneak? Stab? Shoot? Win.: Sam's best game...ever?
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Hands-On Preview | A Pirate's Life For Me: Better than ACIII?
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Interview | Lead Writer Darby McDevitt On Stealth, Pirates, And Returning The Series To Its Roots: We chat to the writer at Gamescom.
- WildStar Interview | Jeremy Gaffney On Crowd Control, Housing, & Story: Soon, WildStar, soon.
- Dealspwn Playthrough | Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs - Opening Gameplay: See Carl's reactions as he plays.
- Wolfenstein: The New Order Preview | Hands-On Impressions: No MP, but it's looking good.
- The Most Immersive Gaming Experience Of My Life | EVE: Valkyrie vs. Oculus Rift HD Preview: This headset could take over your life.
- How To Be Luke Skywalker | EVE: Valkyrie Interview With Ian Shiels: It'll be better than Dust 514 at least..
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Preview | Stan Lee Hulks Out: No points for originality, but we're buying anyway.
- Game Buzz | Episode 45 - Metal Gear Sexy: Hear the team talk about the week's news.