More U-turns from Microsoft this week in the form of bundled headsets, XBL Gold sharing policies and restrictions on recording game footage. whereas Sony claim day-1 stocks of the PS4 are sold out. Elsewhere, John Carmack has joined the Oculus Rift team to help them with their VR headset, Amazon finally launched a digital games space and there are even rumours of them preparing an Android console. Just what the world needs.
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros aside there aren't many big name releases to review this week, but on the other hand, everything seems to have scored admirably with a huge sweep of 8/10 scores. these include Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Beatbuddy, Divinity: Dragon Commander and Megabyte Punch. We also have a review of the Razer Orbweaver mouse-thingy.
In the features, Matt got his hands-on DriveClub and found it's not quite hitting top gear yet and in the wake of Microsoft's recent U-turns he ponders if we've been a bit too mean to Microsoft. We also have a look ahead to the Top 10 most promising games coming in an over-packed release lineup bottleneck at the end of the month. Playthrough videos include The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and the fun fest freak-show that is Saints Row IV. Speaking of Saints Row IV, I've penned a piece on why it just might be more fun than GTA V.
- Xbox One DVR Records At 720p, 30 FPS: Oh well at least it'll be quicker than 1080p to upload.
- Deep Silver Launch The Saints Row IV Inauguration Station: Epic create-a-character mode unleashed ahead of release.
- Iwata Promises "Nintendo-Like Profits" For This Financial Year: I'd get your coat fella.
- Bethesda: Churning Out Multiple Premium Games Per Year "Not Who We Are": No, you're the massive company who can't be arsed hiring decent testers.
- Platinum's Inaba Discusses Relationship With "Perfectionist" Nintendo: You can tell he hates them deep down.
- Amazon Launches UK Digital Games Storefront: An end to pretending we live Stateside for discounts?
- PS4: UK Retailers Warn That New Pre-Orders May Not Be Fulfilled At Launch: Scaremongering from Sony?
- Soul Sacrifice Gets Even More Free DLC, Includes Eight New Levels: Free DLC ensures it at least stays in Jon's Vita.
- State Of Decay Title Update 3 Out Today, Lets You Team Up With NPCs: Lots of fixes mean you should get on this.
- UPDATE: John Carmack Joins Oculus As CTO, id "Unaffected": Carmack moves closer to his dream of virtual reality gaming.
- Nintendo Announces Impressive Indie Wii U Lineup: This looks better than the rest of their lineup to be fair.
- Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Confirmed For Europe: Two franchises squished together.
- Xbox One Sizzle Videos Showcase Controller, Headset, Play & Charge Kit: Running out of newsworthy things to tell us already MS?
- Nintendo: Going Software-Only Multiplatform Would Be Shortsighted: Don't expect Ninty to follow Sega quite yet.
- Xbox One Gold Membership Perks Detailed, Includes DVR Usage: And just like that, everyone hates you again, Microsoft.
- PS4 Video Capture Won't Require PS Plus Subscription, Is Free For Everyone: MS are winning Sony's battles for them again.
- Irrational Games On BioShock Infinite DLC: Playable Elizabeth Won't Be "Booker In A Dress": He'd look silly anyway.
- Naughty Dog Reveal Alternative Plot and Original Ending For The Last of Us: Spoilers ahead! Interesting read though.
- Xbox One Will Include A Bundled Headset After All: Bit late now.
- Arma 3 Gets Firm Release Date, Campaign Will Be Released In Three Episodes: Pay now, get the rest of the game later? Hmm.
- Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX Trailer Sets The Scene: Should tide us over until next-gen.
- PayDay 2 Devs Pull Off The Perfect Heist In New Video: Well, apart from setting off all those alarms that is.
- Black Ops II: Apocalypse DLC Detailed For August 27th: Includes Iron Giant cameo?
- A Feast For The Eyes: X Rebirth Video Goes Big On Scale: Seriously huge, but how will it affect actual gaming?
- RUMOUR: Amazon To Release Android Games Console This Year?: This would bury the Ouya overnight.
- Pokemon X and Y Will Introduce Mega Evolutions: Pokemon news. I wont pretend to be cool and understand what it means.
- Saints Row IV Wad Wad Edition Costs $1,000,000, Is Stupid(ly Awesome): What? No prostitute vouchers included?
- The Wonderful 101 Gets Playable Demo & Massive Gameplay Trailer: Could be great, but will need trailers that explain gameplay more, rather than making it look like an awful kids' TV show.
- Xbox One: Xbox Live Gold Benefits & Digital Games Can Be Shared Within The Household From A Single Account: U-turns again.
- Creative Assembly's Aliens Game Not Cancelled: Announcement incoming?
- Disney Infinity Toy Box Combat Trailer: Apparently they can't all just get along.
- Tearaway: Behind the Scenes Video: Open the envelope and take a look inside.
- Razer Orbweaver Review | Power In The Palm Of Your Hand: Thought it was a glove controller. It isn't. Sad face.
- Megabyte Punch Review | Super Smashing!: Smash Bros without the IPs.
- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons Review | My Brothers' Keeper: Love Journey? Look at this.
- Divinity: Dragon Commander Review | Simply Divine: Why divine? Dragons with jetpacks, that's why.
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. Review | Slumber Party: Another 3DS winner?
- Beatbuddy: Tale Of The Guardians Review | Motion Of The Ocean: A treat for the eyes and the ears.
- Driveclub Hands-On Preview | It's A Driving Game: Sony's next-gen racer stalls.
- Top Ten Tuesdays | Games To Look Forward To In 'Awesome August': What the fuck happened to June and July though?
- COMMENT | Are Microsoft Being Criticised Too Much?: Nope.
- Dealspwn Playthrough | The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot - Mages, Archers, & Rivalries: Our final video, you're on your own after this.
- Opening Scenes | Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons Gameplay - First 15 Mins: Worth a look for Journey fans.
- Dealspwn Playthrough | Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: See if it's worth that high price-tag.
- Game Buzz | Episode 42 - Subs and Sandwiches: The week's news on the podcast, complete with default Wii U dismay.
- Opening Scenes | Saints Row IV Gameplay – First 25 Mins: See how the madness begins.
- The Sunday Seven: Why You'll Enjoy Saints Row IV More Than GTA V: Heresy or honesty?