Poor DriveClub, it's finally out in the wild and its main feature -online connectivity- has almost constantly been offline since launch. So it shouldn't comes as a surprise that it has a few features dedicated to it this week, including a Sunday Seven that looks at the ups and downs since launch, a podcast and article laughing at it and a First Contact video. Fingers crossed I'll be able to get online next week and bring you a full review.
Elsewhere, we have lots of other videos for you, including Carl's The Hunt series set in Shadow of Mordor, Matt's examination of horror in games compared to movies, a DieselStormers GameNight, a look at the PS4 parity issue around Assassin's Creed: Unity, First Contact Videos for This War of Mine and The Long Dark and a few sneaky video recordings of the Bloodborne Alpha. Other article pieces provide a survival guide for Alien: Isolation, Chris tells us about finding time for gaming since getting hitched, Jon details his launch impressions of Project Spark and the Dieselstormers alpha, I shake off the Demon's Souls nightmares for a hands-on preview of Bloodborne and take a look at next week's release lineup.
In-between bouts of laughing and swearing at DriveClub, we squeezed in a few reviews. Middle-Earth: Shaodw of Mordor proved to be one of the best surprises of the year by not only being 'not awful' but also quite 'bloody great.' Other high scoring efforts this week included Alien: Isolation (a decent Aliens' game?!), FIFA 15, Super Smash Bros. on the 3DS, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and new PS+ freebie, Pix the Cat. A couple of sixes brought the average down a little on a great week for releases with Styx: Master of Shadows and Team Indie bringing up the rear.
- Click To Play: Phoenotopia - The Lovechild of Metroidvania and Classic Zelda: Sounds like a sploosh for Ninty fans.
- First Contact | How to (not) survive in The Long Dark: The antiguide commeth.
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor | The Hunt #2: Carl resumes his hunt for Uruk hides.
- Alien: Isolation Survival Guide | How To Not Die... Too Much: How long should you hide in that locker?
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor | The Hunt #3: Carl climbs the Uruk ranks.
- First Contact: This War of Mine | The Cost of Living: More Valiant Hearts than your typical war game. A good thing.
- DriveClub's launch is already a shambles - PS Plus version delayed, servers overloaded: It's still a mess today too.
- Press Continue - My Gaming is Here to Stay: Marriage doesn't mean the end of fun after all.
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor | The Hunt #4: Murdering his way to the top.
- Project Spark Launch Impressions | Potential, Pitfalls & Paywalls: Microsoft's answer to LBP?
- Interactive Narratives | Scaring Ourselves - Why horror games are so much scarier than films: Or are we just scared of lengthy checkpoints?
- We Need To Talk About #PS4NoParity and Assassin's Creed Unity: I hope this hashtag phase dies soon, I really do. #oldgit
- Bloodborne Hands-On Preview | Battle Ready: The nicer Dark Souls?
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor | The Hunt #5: The penultimate battle.
- Game Night | Dieselstormers Early Access - Electric Ninja Rope Mayhem: Those bloody ninjas are back.
- First Contact | Driveclub - New Game, Old Tricks: Matt's first impressions.
- EARLY ACCESS | DieselStormers runs & guns cool on heavy fuel: The Dealspwn Dieselstorm is underway.
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor | The Hunt #6: It's Warchief toppling time.
- Next Week’s Releases – Bikes, balls, blood and boomsticks: It's Peggle 2 time, baby!
- The Sunday Seven: DriveClub's Ups and Downs: It's still offline, but there's some good stuff here.
- FIFA 15 Review | Thrilling Pace: Faster = better?
- Super Smash Bros. 3DS Review | Pocket Rocket: Better on the XL model.
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Review | Paranormal Activity: Can't wait for this on PS4.
- Styx: Master Of Shadows Review | The Renegade Who Had It Made: Can Cyanide make a decent game for a change?
- Alien: Isolation Review | Hide and Creep: Great ideas, but is it too long?
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Review | Boromir Was Wrong: I walked right in there.
- Team Indie Review | The Ultimate Indie Crossover?: Cash-grab or fanboy gold?
- Pix The Cat Review | Feline Frenzy: Free on PS+ now.