Despite the world telling us that dedicated gaming handhelds are on the edge of extinction, the PC world seems to have gone a bit mental this week, drunkenly gatecrashing the market with two new handheld(ish) devices from Nvidea and Razor. One of them looks a bit cheap and the other one costs so much mulah it will only be sold in Harrods and tech stores where if you have to ask how much you clearly can't afford it. In other news, Dyson dude says young engineers just want stripper-time via games development (slight reinterpretation), 343 say sorry for nothing, Play.com says balls to your face to the UK tax office and Nintendo have a delayed eureka-moment and finally decide to bring the Pokemon universe to the 3DS.
As such, our features went a bit Pokemon crazy with a Blast From The Past dedicated to the Red & Blue games and a look of what we want from the new X & Y games. One podcast looks ahead to this year's releases while another and our Comment article look at all the new hardware news that emerged this week.
Our reviews cover Arkham City and the ridiculously pretty Trine 2: Director's Cut on the Wii U. There's also Drox Operative, which as a console gamer gives me a nosebleed every time I try and understand what the fuck it is. There's also Anarchy Reigns' long-awaited European release, which Jon rather enjoyed. All over its face.
- Nvidia Unveils Mobile Gaming Device With Project Shield: Looks a bit Poundland.
- The Walking Dead Season 2 Will Allow Save File Import: Go on PC gamers, import your corrupted files to the next broken mess. GOTY my arse.
- Crysis 3 Won't Come To Wii U Due To Lack Of "Business Drive": EA not sharing the toys with the new kid.
- UK Games Charts | 5th January 2012: FIFA's back on top.
- Pokemon X and Pokemon Y To Release For 3DS In October 2013: AKA: Ninty print money in October.
- EA Join The List Of Bidders For THQ's Assets: Don't let them water down Saints Row!
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Announced For Autumn: A chance to try something new? Or just reskin Lego Batman 2: DC super Heroes?
- Razer Fully Reveals The Edge Gaming Tablet: And you thought the Vita was expensive.
- Sony CEO: Vita Sales "At The Low End Of What We Expected": After the awful COD game is the Vita running on life support?
- EVE Online Merges With Dust 514 Tomorrow: Ambitious PSN game beta merges with the PC crowd. This could be big. Could (won't).
- Play.com To Cease Trading: A shame, as Play Marketplace prices are usually a bit bum.
- Steam Box Info Round-Up | The First Barrage: A Steam console? Here's a roundup of the knowledge so far.
- Microsoft Shows Off Xbox IllumiRoom Concept At CES: "Xbox Go Big." A feature of the next-gen Xbox?
- Monster Hunter 4 3DS Trailer Shows Rich Environments, Big Swords & Bigger: Monsters: The sort of Japanese system seller that the Vita could do with really.
- Trion Worlds Unleash Defiance Co-Op Trailer: Co-op? More like feckin' big ass war.
- Sir James Dyson Concerned That 'Glamorous' Games Industry Is Tempting Graduates Away From Engineering: Suck it, Dyson. Sorry, what else was I going to write? Admittedly, Gabe Newell is beating the honeys off with a crowbar.
- 343 Industries Promises To Do "Much Better Next Time": Sheesh guys, I think people we're fairly impressed with Halo 4. Good to see some devs keen to excel though.
- Dead Island: Riptide Wants To Ruin Your Wedding: Want to piss off your future in-laws? Try slapping zombie make-up on them at the ceremony.
- Cyberpunk 2077 Teaser Brings Slow Motion Carnage: More teases for something we might not see until 2015. Admittedly, we can't wait. She looks a bit like Kara crossed with a necromorph though, no?
- Major Planetside 2 Patch Incoming: Devs peel the turkey off their faces to fix their Xmas release.
- God Of War: Ascension Dev Diary Shows Two Years Of Progress: Hmmm, still not sure about competitive MP, maybe co-op stages would be better.
- Dragon Age Writer: Forum Fan Feedback Is "Increasingly Toxic": There's only so much constructive criticism you'll get from forums. The arseholes will always be louder than your fans. Especially after ME3.
- Far Cry 3 Outpost App Now Live: Delicious decoding on the go. If you've no idea what I'm on about then you've not been playing Far Cry 3 co-op which means your face fails.
- Resident Evil Revelations: Unveiled Edition Leak: See, you didn't need to buy a 3DS after all.
- McLovin's Far Cry Adventure Video in Full: Michael Mando steals the show and gets my thumbs-up for the movie role.
- Sly 4 Pulling the Heist Trailer: I'm playing the first three again right now. This will be the platformer of the year.
- $2.3 Million Raised By World of Warcraft Players for Superstorm Sandy Relief: Good effort from the WoW crowd and Blizzard. More of this sort of thing please.
- Batman: Arkham City - Armoured Edition Review | The Wii U's Opening Batsman: Worth buying twice?
- Drox Operative Review | Or...How To Be A Shadow Broker: It's...wait. What is this?
- Trine 2: Director's Cut Review | U Trine 2 Impress Mii?: One of the best games yet on the Wii U.
- Anarchy Reigns Review | Maximum Platinum!: I'd rent it first, but Jon thinks you should buy it NOW! You should probably listen to Jon.
- Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition Review | Mighty Remix: The title image alone warrants a hard-drive formatting.
- Top Ten Tuesday | Pokemon X & Y Wishlist: What the team want from the new Pokemon game.
- COMMENT | Steam Box: The Revolution Will Be Televised: Can Steam take on the consoles?
- Blast From The Past | Pokemon Red & Blue: Nostalgia ahead of the long-awaited 3DS game.
- Game Buzz | Episode 14 - A Hint of Hardware: Everybody seems to be announcing hardware this week.
- PWNCAST | Season 3: Episode 1 - Antici...pation: We're all about 2013 in the podcast.