Sony were out in force at the Tokyo Game Show this week, announcing a slimmer PS Vita and the intriguing PS Vita TV micro-console. Elsewhere, Microsoft got a bit annoyed and precious around the 'Xbone' name their new console has attracted. Fans of brilliant multiplayer shooters were rewarded with the news that the Timesplitters project has moved that little bit closer to reality, and Ubisoft announced a slew of new titles at their digital event in Paris.
Jon made the trip across the channel to bring us first-hand reports on some of those new titles including Child of Light, Valiant Hearts: The Great War and the mobile ctOS companion app for Watch Dogs. Elsewhere amongst our features, Matt brings us an interview and dev demo impressions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which looks like it's going to put Skyrim's buggy head in a bag and toss it off a mountain. Another Gamescom piece sees him chat with the team behind the upcoming XCOM: Enemy Within, that's the good one, not the meh shooter from a few weeks ago.
We've been scrambling to get our reviews finished this week too, as we're pretty sure next week's Grand Theft Auto V is going to shut down all forms of productivity. Speaking of which, we're giving away copies of the game tomorrow night, right here. You can also find links below to our verdicts on Lost Planet 3, Mirror Moon EP, the console version of Diablo III, Puppeteer and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.
- PS4: Sony Announce Feb. 2014 Japanese Release Date: Bit of a kick in the teeth for Sony's home fans.
- New Vita Is Thinner, Lighter, Has LCD Screen and Better Battery: Japan-only for now.
- Sony Unveil Vita TV Microconsole: Effectively a £60 Vita. Awesome.
- UK Games Charts | 7th September 2013: Saints Row braces for GTA.
- Watch Sony's Full TGS Press Conference Right Here: Two hours of Sony's plans.
- Deep Down Set In The Future, Has Procedurally Generated Dungeons: Future New York? Could have fooled us.
- VR Mocap Kit Hits Kickstarter, 8x Faster Than Kinect: Looks incredible, will need an empty studio to play it in though.
- COD: Ghosts Gets Singleplayer Trailer: Dog attacks helicopter. 'Nuff said.
- Namco Double Down On F2P Fighters With SoulCalibur: Lost Swords: So why should we buy SCIIHD now?
- TimeSplitters Rewind Takes To Steam Greenlight: Could be the best remake ever.
- More GTA Online Details Revealed: 500+ Missions, Bounties & More: It'll be months before we've finished with the single-player stuff too.
- Steam Announces Family Sharing Service: A nice idea, but with some big limitations.
- Microsoft Buys 'Disrespectful' Xbone.com Domain: Actually takes you straight to Bing search results now.
- J.J. Abrams 'Emotionally Hurt' By Disappointing Star Trek Game: Well, maybe you shouldn't have ditched support, you over-rated bellend.
- PS Vita TV Releasing First In Japan, "Stay Tuned" For Other Territories: Take. My. Money.
- Report: PS4 Performance "Significantly" Outstrips Xbox One, Claim Development Sources: Anonymous sources lighting the flame war fires?
- Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX Launch Trailer: A better investment than the Nintendo spin-offs.
- Rockstar Invite You To GTA V's Blaine County: Trevor's homeland looks packed with trash.
- FIFA 13 Smashes Top 10 Chart Record: Four weeks short of a whole year in the Top 10.
- Lost Planet 3 Review | Put It On Ice: Read my frosty verdict on Capcom's dull shooter.
- Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Review | Screaming Jowler: Creepy happening's with piggehs.
- Puppeteer Review | A Marionette Marvel: An exceptional platformer from Sony Japan.
- Diablo III Console Review | The Hell Of It: Fun in co-op, but lifespan is limited.
- MirrorMoon EP Review | My God, It's Full Of Stars:...and also a lot of empty space.
- Game Buzz | Episode 46 - Rebranding The Xbone: Tough luck MS, we're sticking with Xbone.
- XCOM: Enemy Within Interview | Garth DeAngelis Talks Mechs, Mods, and Morals: Matt chats to the XCOM DLC devs.
- Child Of Light Hands-On Preview | A Thing Of Beauty: An interesting-looking RPG.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Interview | Producer Marek Ziemak On Geralt's Greatest Adventure Yet: Skyrim clearly in the sights of the team.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Preview | Killing Monsters: Ruin or save whole villages, the choice is yours.
- Watch Dogs: ctOS Mobile Hands-On Preview | Good Griefing!: A decent mobile companion app for a change?
- Valiant Hearts: The Great War Preview | Finding Humanity Behind The Horrors Of War: The Ubiart engine being put to great use here.