Wake Us Up When The Heists Arrive
Grand Theft Auto V has received its first downloadable content today, in the form of the Beach Bum pack, which includes 30 new jobs, new vehicles and weaponry for both story mode and GTA Online.
What, not interested? Sorry, let me rephrase that. GTA V has received its first downloadable content today, in the form of the free Beach Bum pack. That's better.
Still, we're going to need those heists soon if Rockstar's online playground can retain its player base, what with those next-gen consoles scant days from release.
The new content ways in at 64MB, offering 30 new jobs as its headline act. These include a range of races, survival arenas and deathmatches, such as the following sample platter below.
- “Grass Route II” (Race): In this sequel to the original popular Grass Route Race, go off-road in an epic heat starting on the North bank of the Zancudo River through the treacherous wetlands with a triumphant finish on the beach in North Chumash.
- “Survival on Del Perro Pier” (Survival): Skip the ferris wheel for a deadlier kind of thrill ride as you take on waves of relentless enemies at this beachfront attraction.
- “View of Vespucci” (Parachuting): This leap sends you from 2,980 feet, down towards Vespucci Beach, weaving through palm trees to land on the basketball courts of the rec center. If you’ve got skills, it’s possible to freefall through the first few checkpoints before even opening your chute.
- “Paleto Beach” (Team Deathmatch): The locals complain that not a lot happens in this sleepy town, so do them a favor and wake ‘em up with a barrage of gunfire exchanged between you and a rival team. This Team Deathmatch takes place right on the romantic shoreline for 4-8 players.
- “Sundae Driving” (Bike Race): Sure to be a new fan-favorite motorbike race, menace Vespucci Beach on your two-wheel rocket, taking breakneck corners as you try and best the competition.
Frankly, we're excited about the dune buggy racing above all else. Speaking of which, new vehicles include the BF Bifta dune buggy, "rugged" Canis Kalahari off-road truck and Bravado Paradise beach camper van. For all your taking to the sea needs, the imaginatively-named Speeder speedboat (speedy) is also now available. You can access them in story mode by visiting your garage, and GTA Online at no additional cost by browsing over to the southernsanandreassuperautos.com and docktease.com in-game website.
Also available in both Story Mode and Online (and at no additional in-game cost) are the new SNS Pistol & Broken Bottle weapons. A broken bottle. Really. A broken bottle. Really? Really?! Ambassador, with this sharpened refuse you are really spoiling us.
This update also features a wide array of new apparel, which is frankly too boring to give any column space to.
We love the idea of GTA Online, but Rockstar were forced to spend their valuable time fixing bugs rather than adding content during the all-too-fleeting honeymoon period... meaning that many players have already left with no intention of returning. With next-gen consoles approaching, will you spend any more time in Los Santos over the next month or so? Can the approaching content creator and heists drag you back in? Or has the cool half a million GTA$ given you all the excuse you need to get involved?