"You Should Look And Feel Like A Super Hero"
343 Industries has released a developer diary for Halo 4 that gives us a first look at some work-in-progress footage, as well as commentary from the design team explaining how they plan to revitalise the franchise. Apparently, 343 intends to empower the player through meaningful gameplay choices throughout the campaign, yet (somehow) creating a more epic cinematic experience.
Video and quotes below.
Creative Director Josh Holmes states that immersion, visceral gunplay and fast-paced combat will be the calling cards of this latest sequel - making the action much more immediate and frantic than Halo Reach.
It's faster paced and more intense in terms of the immersiveness of the experience and just the overall visceral-ness of the experience - that's been a real focus for our team.
When you look at Halo games throughout the series they've changed pretty substantially in terms of the pace of play. Halo Reach is much slower and more methodical than Halo 3. What we wanted to do is push the balance back towards a faster paced combat feel.
There's a lot of information here, so enjoy this bite-sized roundup:
- Master Chief will interact with the world to a greater extent than previous games, such as grasping objects or physically climbing ladders with both hands
- The storyline will explore 'what makes Master Chief tick,' providing a more emotional context for the action.
- Curved HUD redesign, reminiscent of jet fighter cockpit displays
- The BR-42 Battle Rifle is back
- The multiplayer element will have its own canon explaining why Blue and Red Spartans are fighting each other
... and more. Much more. Here's the video, courtesy of VG247.