Julian Gollop, the strategic mastermind behind the original X-COM, plans to revisit one of his earliest games as his next project. Chaos: The Battle Of Wizards originally graced the Speccy in 1985, and the legendary developer hopes to use new technology and the Unity engine to develop a spiritual sequel rather than a by-the-numbers revamp.
"OK it's official! I am working on a sequel/remake to my classic ZX Spectrum game 'Chaos' - for iOS, PC, Mac - maybe more," Gollop announced on Twitter. "Hopefully Android, Linux and Ouya as well."
Gollop quickly followed this up with a new blog post that laid out a feature list for the fantasy turn-based strategy title. Not only will Chaos: The Battle Of Wizards receive a full 3D makeover courtesy of the Unity Engine, but it will offer asynchronous online/hotseat multiplayer, a randomly-generated campaign mode and more. Here are the details:
Multi-player arena battles
- Network play
- Asynchronous turns OR constant connection with timeouts for each players turn.
- Pass-and-play for mobile devices (allows multiplayer games on one device).
- 1-8 players
- Single player vs AI wizards is also an option
- Multiple arena configurations - based on number of players and battle mode
- Various battle modes
- Standard 'death match'
- Team based mode
- Co-op vs AI monster wizard
- Possibly more...
Single player 'Kingdoms of Chaos' campaign mode
- The campaign map is divided into regions, each controlled by an enemy wizard
- You start with a basic wizard character, and you must journey through regions battling enemy wizards.
- Your objective is to find and kill the Wizard King
- However each move on the campaign map, and each battle, will see the Wizard King and his Wizard Lords get slightly stronger. It is a race against time (turn-based time, that is).
- Enemy wizards have specific spell lists and AI personalities.
- Each region has a terrain type with various map layouts, wondering monsters, hazards and pickups.
- Your wizard will gain spells and improve basic stats through defeating enemy wizards and finding artefacts (such as 'magical tomes' which allow you to learn a spell).
- If you are defeated by a wizard in a region, you can always revisit it at a later date when you are better equipped.
- The Campaign map, and all regional battle maps, are all randomly generated according to a seed chosen by the player by entering a short text string. This means any other player can play the same campaign by entering the same seed string
Gollop's most recent offering was Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, the solid if slightly underwhelming 3DS turn-based strategy game. He'll be looking to crowd fund his Chaos remake when the time is right, so we'll be keeping a close eye on Kickstarter.