Providing “Full Endgame Progression For Casual Players”
In a recent update on the official website, Funcom have announced some changes to their Lair system for The Secret World. These “pockets of powerful creatures” that can be found in all the zones in the game had previously provided a pair of players wearing Quality Level 10 gear the chance to work towards gaining top-end rewards, and fighting monsters that were on par with the Nightmare difficulty for the dungeons in the game. However, with patch 1.2 these will be changed in a number of ways to provide casual players a way to experience “full endgame progression” without having to stop inside any of the dungeons. We have the full list of changes after the jump.
- Lairs are now for groups of 5 players. The new Looking for Groups (LFG) tool in patch 1.2 should make finding those groups of 5 a little easier than before.
- Each Lair's distance from nearby Anima Wells has been evaluated. Lairs deemed too far have had a new Anima Well added. This should ease the punishment of wipes, and players can also use this Anima Well to „meet up“ and get started with their Lair more quickly.
- Each Lair is launching with a new item mission in it, and we will expand to three missions total. Each of these missions will reward you with Ritual Fragments to help you summon the Playfield Bosses in the Lair.
- Lairs now provide loot progression; everything you need for your next stage of the Lair can be found at your current stage. To be specific:
- Standard Lair mobs are balanced for a full set of greens and signets. They have a chance of dropping BoP blues, as well as green signets and Playfield Boss ritual fragments.
- Playfield Bosses (3 in each Lair) are balanced for mostly greens, with a few blue talismans. They are guaranteed to drop a few Bind on Pick-up (BoP) blues, a blue signet, and Regional Boss ritual fragments.
- Regional Bosses (1 each in New England, Egypt, and Transylvania) are balanced for a full set of blue gear. They are guaranteed to drop a few BoP quality level 10 purples, a purple signet, and few ritual fragments to make these bosses easier to resummon.
- Regional Bosses also drop strange and powerful ritual fragments- even though the magic of this ritual doesn't yet function, who knows when their latent power might activate again...
The post goes on to remind players that the quickest way to get the best rewards in The Secret World, providing you have a skilled and organised group, is to do the Elite and Nightmare modes for dungeons, and that these difficulty levels would remain unchanged moving forward. You can read the post in its entirety by heading over to the official website here.