Fixes Experience, Defending, G2A & More
Planetside 2 may be an excellent free-to-play FPS, but a fair few major issues crawled out of the woodwork since its November launch. Because of the bizarre Christmas release date, SOE have been on holiday rather than patching their brand new MMO, so a major imminent patch will come as great news to the player base.
SOE has revealed that the January update will overhaul experience to shift the priority from farming to support, while defender spawn rooms will now be connected to other parts of the base via tunnels to get rid of some of the more egregious spawn camping. We've got the full list of planned patch notes below, many of which we feel are long overdue.
Carl described Planetside 2 as "most intense, and arguably exciting FPS experience available on the market today" in our 9/10 review, and we've both been crushing it for the TR.
- General performance increases, particularly for lower end GPUs
- Experience (XP) system enhancements:
- Dynamic XP system for player kills, players who have more kills XP earned on their current life are worth more XP. Freshly spawned players will be worth a fraction of the current kill reward.
- Partial damage XP for dealing damage to vehicles that you don't end up killing
- Population XP / Resource bonus moved over to continent population instead of global
- Better display of XP sources for things like defensive bonuses & population bonuses
- Rebalancing of XP rewards to help support tasks
- Server transfer token available in Depot
- UI changes to emphasize score per minute as a primary metric of player comparison
- Sortable columns on outfit management & addition of "last online" column
- New weapon type for all empires: SMG
- Short period of invulnerability will be added to freshly spawned / revived players - breaks upon game actions such as entering a vehicle or using a weapon.
- Dynamic / player configurable colors for minimap & overhead indicators for enemies, friendlies, and squads within a platoon
- New Hot Spot system that displays where active fights are occurring on the map
- New spawn buildings with more exits, protected balconies and easy roof access to make them less campable.
- Tunnel systems for amp and tech facilities to give access from spawn rooms to interior of bases and base walls without having to go above ground.
- Making MAXes render more reliably at long distances for players in vehicles
- AA improvements, notably flak changes for turrets and skyguards, giving them some better ability to aim, although not drastically impacting their DPS.
- Fixes to missiles so that they more reliably detonate and actually blow stuff up
- Air vehicle weapon tweaks
- Increases to reload speed for certain HE ground vehicle weapons
- And of course... lots of bug fixes