3DS Features And Release Date Revealed
Rumours about the 3DS release date and potential feature set have been flying around ever since the handheld platform was announced. At their latest press conference, however, Nintendo have finally confirmed that the 3DS is set for a March release here in Europe. There. Finally. Sorry, it doesn't look like we'll be able to play Kid Icarus on Boxing Day after all.
Nintendo also let slip plenty of new details (and confirmed a few rumours)... so it's roundup time!
- The 3DS will have its own virtual console containing legacy Game Boy, GBA and DS titles. It'll also be compatible with DSiWare.
- The enhanced Tag Mode enables proximal units to stay in constant communication and data exchange.
- Real reality not good enough for you? The Augmented Reality function uses the cameras to place virtual objects in the environment (allowing us to shoot aliens in our living room, for example. Six AR cards will be included with the retail release.
- The final design has also been revealed, which is cosmetically slightly different to the prototype we first saw at E3 (and playing around with ever since). Well, the thumbstick and stylus are slightly different colours at least.
- The Nintendo 3DS will be bundled with a 2GB SD card.
- Onboard Mii generation software allows gamers to create Miis by taking photos of themselves. We can't wait to see how ghoulish these turn out to be...
- Nintendo have announced two new titles: Resident Evil: Mercenaries and Mega Man Legends 3. Details are still thin on the ground at this stage, but we're excited to see that the cult Mega Man Legends series will be receiving a long-awaited sequel. We'll bring you more as we hear it.
Play as Guybrush In Force Unleashed II
Yeah. This is happening.
Starkiller is a reasonable swordsman and a powerful force practitioner... but many of us feel that his grasp of combat insults simply aren't up to scratch. To rectify this, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II will feature a stylish Guybrush Threepwood skin. He's the beloved protagonist of the Monkey Island franchise, in case you didn't know.
We can't wait to inform our enemies that they fight like a dairy farmer. [Force Unleashed 2 on Facebook]
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is Too Big For 360
We're delighted that British-based Just Add Water is taking charge of the Oddworld franchise, though the decision to bring the revamped Stranger's Wrath to the PS3 rather than its native Microsoft console struck us as rather odd (especially since JAW have no overt exclusivity or affiliation). However, we've now learned that the eyepopping remake is simply too big for Xbox Live Marketplace; with the current bare build weighing in at a whopping 2.1 Gb that's just over the maximum XBLA file size limit. Remember, that's without most of the graphical detail.
JAW have stated that they'll need a miraculous compression algorithms to shoehorn this game to the 360 (or just nerf the graphics down the line). [JAW]
Konami Unleashes Monster Castlevania Trailer
We're looking forward to Castlevania's first next-gen foray into three dimensions courtesy of Konami and Kojima- and to whet our appetite, they've released a monster eleven minute trailer. It's basically an epic press release with moving pictures, so I'll let you draw your own conclusions.