Golden Joystick Winners Announced
This year's prestigious Golden Joystick award winners have been announced, with Bioware's Mass Effect 2 and PopCap's Plants vs Zombies receiving two trophies apiece. There weren't too many surprises this year, with the big names snagging most of the major awards. It was odd to see Guitar Hero 5 make the list, mind. Here's the full list for your perusal along with links to our coverage and reviews. Remember that this list lags behind the times somewhat.
- Ultimate Game of the Year: Mass Effect 2
- RPG of the Year: Mass Effect 2
- Strategy Game of the Year: Plants Vs. Zombies
- Download Game of the Year: Plants Vs. Zombies
- Action/Adventure Game of the Year: Assassin's Creed II
- Soundtrack of the Year: Final Fantasy XIII
- Portable Game of the Year: Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver
- Fighting Game of the Year: Street Fighter IV
- Music Game of the Year: Guitar Hero 5
- Online Game of the Year: League of Legends
- Puzzle Game of the Year: World of Goo
- Racing Game of the Year: Forza Motorsport 3
- Shooter of the Year: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
- Sports Game of the Year: FIFA 10
- UK Developer of the Year: Jagex
- The One to Watch: Call of Duty: Black Ops
Do you agree with the list- or would you have liked to have seen some other lesser known games on there? Have your say- or make your own awards list- in the comments! I'd have loved an Indie Games category, personally.
Nintendo: No Wii Christmas Price Cut
Despite many pundits predicting that Nintendo would slash Wii prices over the next couple of months, President Satoru Iwata has confirmed that the. However, he as also admitted that the Wii needs a offer a new incentive and unique selling point to attract a new generation of consumers... which he thinks the new Red Wii is currently providing.
Of course, we cannot say [a price cut] will never happen, but we are not thinking of it for the near future.
Those who really wanted [a Wii] would have already bought it, so now we need to reach those who considered it but never got around to buying it. -Satoru Iwata
To be honest, I can see the logic in this decision. The new Mario 25th Anniversary Wii SKU is priced competitively enough to provide an inexpensive 'stocking filler' when compared against the Xbox 360 & Kinect bundle and even the (admittedly valuetastic) PS3 & Move Starter Pack. Analysts (and even THQ) have predicted a Christmas upswing for Nintendo hardware- and we'll keep an eye on the numbers over the holiday season. [Associated Press]
No Demon's Souls 2 Planned; Could Happen Down The Line
Remember Project Dark? From Software's current project (unveiled at TGS) looked for all the world like a direct sequel to divisive sleeper hit Demon's Souls... but apparently it isn't. Speaking to The Guardian, From Software producer Takeshi Kajii bluntly denied that they're working on a second installment.
At the moment, my answer is "no sequel!"
However, we have been encouraged by all the players, and this title is so well supported, and besides we like this title so much… Well, this is my own feeling, but I think one day we could bring you another Demon's Souls...
Kaiji also confirmed that they had no plans to introduce Playstation Move into Project Dark or Demon's Souls (via patch). If there were to be a sequel, it will apparently require better QA testing to iron out exploits/glitches as well as some improved AI. [Guardian.co.uk]