Including Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl
Importing is all well and good, but we love it when publishers take the time to bring Japanese games to Europe complete with localised voice acting and menus. Thankfully NIS America are on the case, and have greenlit a bountiful harvest of cult handheld games to play early next year on 3DS and Vita. Mainly Vita, actually.
I've collated the numerous separate announcements into one handy post. Unless specifically mentioned, every game below is out in "early 2014"
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl | 3DS
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl is a fresh and reimagined version of the first Etrian Odyssey game for Nintendo DS, with a series-first story mode, complete with new cinematics from animation studio Madhouse, more than 3,000 lines of recorded dialogue, and plenty of challenges for fans of first-person, dungeon-crawling RPGs.
- Wealth of content: Engage in more than 30 hours of first-person RPG exploration and battle and 3D dungeons in either Classic or Story mode Customize your characters the way you want: Each character will learn different skills based on their class, using brand new skill trees.
- Utilize Grimoire Stones to learn new skills: Collect special gems called Grimoire Stones to grant your characters skills that your allies and/or enemies possess. There are over 200 different monster skills plus ally skills to learn—the combinations are nearly endless!
DANGANRONPA: TRIGGER HAPPY HAVOC | Vita
Hope's Peak Academy is home to Japan's best and brightest high school students—the beacons of hope for the future. But that hope suddenly dies when Makoto Naegi and his classmates find themselves imprisoned in the school, cut off from the outside world and subject to the whims of a strange, murderous little bear named Monokuma. He pits the students against each other, promising freedom to anyone who can murder a fellow classmate and get away with it.
- Daily Life, Deadly Life: Trapped in a school-turned-prison, students are murdering each other one by one. You’ll have to investigate each incident, search for clues, and talk to your classmates to try and get to the bottom of each brutal case!
- Mock Trial: The nefarious Monokuma serves as judge, jury, and executioner as you engage in deadly wordplay, going back and forth with suspects, dissecting their statements and firing their words back at them to expose their lies!
- Popularity Contest: Sway classmates to your side in each investigation, squeezing information from them to figure out who did it. And when you do, turn up the heat in a variety of timing and reflex-based game systems to uncover the truth and save your skin!
Ys: Memories Of Celeta | Vita
Falcom revisits the land and characters of Japanese cult favorite Ys IV for its first ever European debut. This re-envisioning of the fourth installment in the Ys series takes a brand new approach, changing and framing the story of Ys IV within an all-new tale of conspiracy, deception, and mystery. Featuring an updated version of the party-based battle system from Ys SEVEN, as well as the largest and most varied overworld in series history, Ys: Memories of Celceta brings a greater sense of adventure to the Ys universe than has ever been seen before.
- Experience the Land of Celceta in English for the Very First Time: Its first ever release in Europe, Ys: Memories of Celceta will take players on a new adventure in never-before-seen locales within the Ys universe.
- Explore the Biggest Overworld in Ys Series History: Eclipsing all previous entries in the Ys series in both size and content, the overworld map metes out battle and exploration in equal measure. A robust mapping system with customizable waypoints and clear, detailed icons aid the journey through this mysterious new land.
- Adventure Forth with a Party of Allies: The party battle system from Ys SEVEN returns, but this time with a host of upgrades such as enhanced flash-guarding, a more versatile party AI, and unique abilities for party members to streamline encounters for fast and furious battle.
- Throw Down the Gauntlet in Boss Rush Mode: Boss Rush makes a comeback, pitting Adol and his companions against implacable foes to keep the challenge going well after the main story has been completed
Demon Gaze | Vita
Oz awakens to find himself in Misred—a cursed land at the world's western frontier—with a dark shroud covering certain memories of his past. The land before him contains many labyrinths that hold both treasure and danger in equal volumes. Without knowing where else to go or what else to do, Oz decides to take up arms in order to hunt down artifacts and eke out a living in this world that feels so new to him. One day, he will have to face his past, but until then, he has no choice but to trust those around him, and in his newfound abilities as a “Demon Gazer”...
Apparently they're still deep in the localisation process, so none of these names or terms are finalised. - Jon
- Dungeon RPG progress system: Conquer locations within dungeons to access better items and to draw out the boss!
- HD character and monster illustrations: Experience highly detailed and illustrated art like you’ve never seen before on the PS Vita’s OLED screen!
- Customizable party creation: Choose from more than 90 different character portraits, 5 different races, and 8 different classes and create your ideal adventuring party to delve fearlessly into various beautiful 3D dungeons!
- Subclass flexibility: Utilize special items to gain skills from several other character classes to maximize your characters’ battle potential and survivability!
- Touchscreen quicktravel: Employ the use of the PS Vita’s touch screen to quickly navigate your character through previously explored areas within dungeons!
Note that NIS America are also giving Mugen Souls Z and Hyperdimention Neptunia PP on PS3.