War of the Roses was pretty damn good. A highly technical, Battlefield-esque, squad-based action title that had you fighting in Tudor times, Fatshark's opus grabbed our attention earlier and didn't let go.
Now, they're back...and it's all gotten mighty beardy!
Today Paradox announced War of the Vikings, an all-new multiplayer game built upon the technology that drove War of the Roses. Describing it as a new instalment in the "War franchise", Vikings will "pull players into the brutal and bloody Viking Age, challenging them to design a personalized warrior and sack England as a mighty Norseman – or defend it as a brave Saxon". Expect similarly detailed close-combat, authentic weaponry and balancing, and massive 64-way battles as standard.
“War of the Roses was a fantastic experience for us to launch, and as it’s evolved over time, eventually growing into its current Kingmaker edition, we’ve been inspired many times over by the possibilities of the close-combat genre,” said Gordon Van Dyke, Executive Producer for the War of the Roses franchise. “It’s clear to us that that there are many more experiences we can share with our players, and War of the Vikings is our next step in establishing Paradox and Fatshark as leaders in the art of online war.”
Here's the features blurb from the press release Paradox fired over:
- History Comes to Life (and then you kill it) – Historically inspired content from the Viking Age, including levels and environments, weapons, helmets, shields, and heraldry
- Close Combat and Ranged Ravaging – Skill-driven fighting blends swinging, blocking, and dodging with intense ranged combat, including arrows, spears, and throwing axes
- Mod Your Squad – Enhanced squad features allow players to define a role for their warriors in battle using custom squad perks to buff your hirdmen
- A Viking to Your Liking – Design your own Viking or Saxon warrior, choosing everything from weapons and armor to battle perks, customized taunts to unhinge your foes, and a variety of beard options
- Pick Your Battles – Game modes include up to 64-player epic battles, new hardcore “Pitched Arena” mode with 32 players and no respawns, and a Training Ground to test out new character builds
War of the Vikings is due to release in Q1 2014.