Sony have announced that the next major PS4 system updated -- codenamed Yukimura -- will deploy tomorrow across Europe.
Its a big one.
Yukimura contains a huge number of highly-anticipated features that should streamline and improve the user experience, crowned by the debut Suspend/Resume functionality that lets you pick up where you left off and multitask with ease. Here's what to expect once you download and install the update.
Suspend/Resume: "Supported by nearly all of your PS4 games, you can jump in and out of your games with just the press of the PS button. Quickly switch from Rest Mode to powered-up so you can pick up where you left off."
This is Yukimura's major headline. Suspend/Resume lets you pause a game in progress to multi-task to other applications (presumably by creating a save state), or activating Rest Mode to power down your console and come back to your game once you switch the console back on.
It's a handy piece of functionality, but whether it works properly is another matter entirely. The Xbox One offers a similar system, but it's undermined by the fact that many games require you to be signed into third-party accounts, profiles or online, meaning that they simply reset rather than resume.
Back-up and restore HDD to USB: "Back-up and restore your hard disc drive data associated with users on your PS4, including settings, saved data, screenshots and video clips as well as games, patches and download data, to and from an external USB drive."
A nice feature, though full external HDD support isn't included. A shame seeing as hard drives are getting good and full, but at least we still have the option to upgrade the console's internal hard drive.
Trophies are awesome and Yukimura adds some nifty features on that front. Perhaps most importantly, we can delete 0% games from our trophy list to eradicate the stain on our honour, but we can also conveniently share or brag about our latest achievments on social networks.
- Automatic Trophy screenshots – A screenshot will automatically be captured when a Trophy is earned, preserving the moment to share with friends.
- SHARE Trophies – Players can share Trophy information to Facebook, Twitter or via Message by pressing the SHARE button.
- Additional Trophy sorting options – Sort your Trophy list by Earned Date, Not Earned and Grade.
- Delete 0% Trophies – Remove games from your Trophy list that have zero percent completion.
Improved Remote Play and Share Play: Yukimura bolsters two of the PS4's most unique features with 60FPS support. "For games that support 60 fps, users will be able to automatically enjoy those games with 60fps for both Remote Play and Share Play on supported devices."
Find and connect with friends: “Yukimura adds to an already robust set of social tools, bringing several updates to continue making PS4 the best place to play with your friends, including:"
- Facebook friend finder – Using your linked account, you can expand your network by searching and connecting with your Facebook friends.
- Improved friend requests – Friend requests and Real Name requests can be sent together in one step when adding a friend on PS4.
- Streamlined Party process – The process to create a Party has been streamlined with a reduction in the number of steps required.
- Find friends who play your games – Easily view what friends are playing on each game detail page with a real-time “Friends Who Play This” section, which also highlights which friends are currently online and playing it, and allows you to jump directly into the game.
- Join Friends directly from news feed – A new tile will be added on your What’s New feed where you can see what your friends are currently playing, enabling you to join in the game if you own it.
Improved and expanded accessibility options:
- Customised button assignments for DUALSHOCK 4.
- Zoom for displayed pictures and inverted colors for all system functions, apps and in-game.
- Text-to-speech for all graphical user interface, including Message and Party.
- Enlarged text for all graphical user interface, including Message and Party, as well as the system’s browser.
- Bolder fonts and higher contrast UI for all system applications (but will not apply to games or third-party applications).
Automatic installation for system software updates: Enable automatic installation for future system software updates.
Sub-account upgrade: Enable users 18 years of age or older with sub-accounts to upgrade to a master account directly on PS4, removing restrictions on chat and enabling users to add funds to their Wallet, purchase content and more.
Verified Accounts: Select game developers, producers, designers and community managers will be verified with a badge.
Dailymotion: Upload video clips directly to Dailymotion via the SHARE button.
Told you it was a big one! We're still waiting on some more functionality, especially in terms of DLNA streaming and media support, but it's a big step in the right direction.
Own a PS4? Make your money go even further by bookmarking our cheap PlayStation + and PSN Wallet deals guide!