CD Projekt are awesome.
And they just got a little bit more awesome, too.
The REDkit development toolset has now been fully unveiled and officially released into open beta, and is now freely available to download and get stuck into after last week's little minor hiccup.
These are the exact same tools that CD Projekt RED used to create The Witcher 2, and now fans can get stuck into creating their own adventures with the devkit.
"For CD Projekt RED, RPGs are all about telling amazing stories. We want to give players the power to tell the same kind of non-linear, branching stories that made The Witcher games so popular," said studio boss Adam Badowski.
"Our fans have helped us for years to make our games the best they can be, and REDkit is part of embracing our community as a partner in game development."
Here's the official feature list from the studio...
• Intuitive tools developed for all would-be storytellers and game designers
• Complex and user-friendly terrain tools, including the SpeedTree foliage system
• Utilize the astonishing graphics and visuals that power The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
• Create a realistic and dynamic day and night cycle in a few clicks
• Implement non-linear stories and quests with a unique quest system that allows player decisions to impact the game world and plot
• Build believable characters, NPCs, and entire communities and set their interactions with the player
• Place dialogue cameras automatically or manually to create a filmlike experience
We absolutely adored The Witcher II, and you can get started with the REDkit for yourselves right here: http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/ .