Capcom, SEGA and Namco Bandai have been teasing a potential collaboration over the last few weeks, and the fruits of their labours has now been revealed as a strategy RPG for the 3DS. Project X Zone will feature characters from all three publishers, who'll need to battle each other with brains as well as brawn.
Famitsu magazine - via the ever-observant Andriasang - reports that Project X Zone has been billed as an SRPG featuring classic characters from across multiple franchises, including Ryu from Street Fighter, Ulala from Space Channel 5 and Tekken's Ling Xiaoyu. Resident Evil's Chris Redfield and June Valentine will also form another power couple, and the pairings aren't arbitrary. Instead, fighters will battle together as duos, with (we assume) as seperate storylines for each.
Gameplay details are thin on the ground, but apparently each character will have access to their trademark skills, attacks and abilities.
Project X Zone was originally conceived as another partnership between Capcom and Namco Bandai, but SEGA were drafted on board after concerns that the roster wouldn't be varied enough. It's currently 50% complete and slated for an imminent official reveal... though whether we'll see it in the West remains to be seen. Here's hoping, because the 3DS could use more projects like this.
Check out the full character list below, which is apparently incomplete at the time of writing.
- Ryu & Ken (Street Fighter 0)
- X and Zero (Mega Man)
- Demitri and Dante (Darkstalkers and Devil May Cry)
- Chris and Jill (Resident Evil)
- Shinguji Sakura and Ogami Ichiro (Sakura Wars)
- Pai and Akira (Virtua Fighter)
- Kurt and Riela (Valkyria Chronicles)
- Ulala and Touma (Space Channel 5 and Shining Force EXA)
- Sanger Somvold (Super Robot Wars)
- Jin and Ling Xiaoyu (Tekken)
- Kos-Mos and T-elos (Xenosaga)
- Yurie and Estel (Tales of Vesperia)
- Kaito and Black Rose (.hack)