Press Conference starts: 18:00 BST, Tuesday August 12th
Where To Watch: Sony Gamescom Hub
Just because Sony are clobbering their rivals in sales terms doesn't mean that they can afford to throttle back at Gamescom. Rather, they've got to consolidate their position over the course of 90+ minutes, and assure us that there are plenty of games big and small to look forward to over the coming months.
So here's what to expect from their presentation, both in terms of what we know will be there, a few dead certs, educated guesswork and some good old fashioned conjecture.
Sony have confirmed that Driveclub, Bloodborne, LittleBigPlanet 3 and The Order: 1886 will be playable on the show floor, and we rather suspect that they'll make an appearance in the press conference too. We can definitely expect some shameless touting of sales figures -- because if you've got it, flaunt it -- followed by another reminder that Destiny is a thing.
The official teaser shows footage of Hohokum (cross-platform) and Murasaki Baby (PS Vita), which rather leads us to believe that a great big indie splurge and some more Vita attention is on the cards.
And that's all we can call with 100% certainty. Let the wild theorising commence!
The Big Tease
Sony has been mercilessly teasing a mysterious Gamescom reveal over the last few days with a succession of creepy trailers. Our money's on Until Dawn. The imagery and themes totally match up, suggesting that the long-delayed schlock-horror game is finally nearing release. If it's now a PS4 title, could its first-person perspective be a great fit for Project Morpheus?
- Media Molecule | One of our favourite UK studios has been very quiet over the last few months. Too quiet if you ask me, since they're not developing LBP 3.
- Guerilla Games Reveal | We know that they're working on an RPG. Just announce it already!
- Indies Indies Indies | We love indie games. Sony loves indie games. And if you bought a PS4, you must love them too. Here's hoping that Rime and The Witness get release dates at the very least!
- Vita who? | Remember that handheld you made, Sony? We do. Here's hoping for some more reveals or just a reminder that it exists.
- More Morpheus | Sony's VR peripheral is consumer-centric and deeply impressive. Trust me, I tried it. More please!
- No Man's Sky | We've been excited about Hello Games' project since before Sony got involved, and can't wait to try it. PS4 owners will be first in the door!
Unrealistic Stupidity What We'd Like
- God Of War: Kratos Goes To Egypt Or Scandinavia | This is probably better off as an E3 announcement, but hey ho.
- Move 2: The Movening | A VR peripheral is a great fit for... motion control.
- PlayStation Now: EU Beta | Can we have nice things too, Sony? Plus, we Eurotrash would like to bitch about the pricing first-hand.
- Agent | Fat chance.
- The Last Guardian | Sorry everyone.
Anyway, we'll find out what happens on Tuesday evening. Let us know what you expect, what you want and what you're excited about from Sony in the comments!