Foot-based Input Device Aims To Take Gamers Beyond Mouse & Keyboard
We’ve seen plenty of gaming peripherals cross our path here at Dealspwn, but they generally fall into the realm of keyboards and mice with extra buttons where your fingers are the main body part of choice. To this end, the folks at SteLulu Technologies in Canada have created an input device that takes advantage of an appendage that is usually ignored while gaming - feet. The device, called the Stinky Footboard, will provide 4 extra inputs for a player, so they can concentrate their fingers on other tasks such as moving their in-game character around. While development and pre-production has been completed, the creators of this peripheral have now taken to Kickstarter to help begin mass production, looking for $75,000 in total.
As the Kickstarter page states, the peripheral allows for more actions to be performed by the player at once, explaining that “even proficient players cannot do more than 3 to 4 simultaneous actions without sacrificing control of their characters or the action,” all thanks to the usually-ignored feet. No more reaching for that Push-To-Talk button whilst playing a game, or perhaps you want to stomp every time you wish to breathe fire on an enemy? That’s what the Stinky Footboard aims to bring to the gaming masses.
“The Stinky Footboard features four programmable buttons, adjustable tension boxes (TBOX) and a unique "cross" shape that allows for unparalleled customization. Forwards, backwards, one foot or two, this bad boy demands to be used every which way, and it's not simply about adding more buttons to click. It's about evolving the way you play – giving you that crucial split second advantage against players still using just a mouse and keyboard. It's simply a better gaming experience.”
Users will be able to customise the tension of the device to accommodate to various foot sizes and strengths, allowing the USB HID to be fine-tuned to the player. We’ve got the tech specs and requirements for you below:
- Description: 4 Button Gaming Footboard (up to 16 with game supported modifiers).
- Buttons: 4 Cherry MX Switches.
- Interface: 7 foot USB A Male to USB B Mini (included).
- Device: USB (HID - Human Interface Device), PC.
- On board memory for storage of active profile
- Construction: Heavy duty plastics, steel U-Chanel backbone and a T6 Aluminum top plate for performance and durability.
- TBOX: 4 Micro-adjustable Torsion Boxes for a personalized performance
- Springs: 6 spare replaceable springs; soft, medium and hard to easily customize the performance and feel of the footboard.
- Software: Operates on Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista and XP (all versions).
- An Internet connection is required for software download.
Although USB footswitches are nothing new in terms of input devices (typically used by musicians) this is the first time we’ve seen someone creating a similar device aimed at gamers. It will initially launch for PC in June of this year, although compatibility for Mac computers, and even consoles, is on the cards if the Kickstarter campaign proves successful. As of the time of writing, just over $12,000 of the $75,000 crowd-funding goal has been pledged, but with 29 days to go we will be sure to keep you up to date with this one as it progresses.
For more information, you can head over to the official website, or head over to the Kickstarter page by hitting the widget below.