When 1000 games industry professionals are surveyed by the London Games Conference to discover who they feel is the most influential person in gaming today, you might expect Shigeru Miyamoto or Gabe Newell to top the list. However, it appears that a whopping 46% voted Steve Jobs into a top five position, implying that Apple have had a greater effect on the gaming industry than any other company. The Apple iPhone also romped ahead in terms of gaming products with a 53% vote - trouncing the Wii, original PlayStation and Steam.
Can this be right? Yes, probably. The rise of apps and mobile/tablet gaming has created an entirely new and massively profitable ecosystem that's open to everyone from indie studios to AAA titans alike, and there's nowhere to go but up. We've rounded up the results below if you're interested, and we'd love to get your take on it.
Top five people who have shaped video games:
- Steve Jobs: 26% (46% top five)
- Gabe Newell: 16% (29% top five)
- Shigeru Miyamoto: 7% (12% top five)
- Tim-Berners Lee: 4% (8% top five)
- Mark Zuckerberg: 3% (5% top five)
Top five products that have shaped video games:
- Apple iPhone: 17% (53% top five)
- Nintendo Wii: 7% (22% top five)
- Xbox LIVE 3% (9% top five)
- Original PlayStation 3% (9% top five)
- Steam 2% (7% top five)