Epic have announced the shortlist for next year's Make Something Unreal Live competition, which will see one lucky university developer securing an Unreal Engine license to develop and distribute their game. We've got the list of promising indie titles below.
This year's theme revolves around the human genome, with projects designed to explore variation and mutation. Judges include Wellcome and Fireteam CEO Stephen Gaffney.
Dr Daniel Glaser, Head of Special Projects at the Wellcome Trust, said, “We’re delighted to see such a display of imagination inspired by the theme. We look forward to seeing how those shortlisted evolve their concepts over the course of the competition. We want to inspire a new generation of games developers as part of our wider commitment to using games and gaming culture as a means of engaging people with science.”
- Dead Shark Triplepunch – Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden | Loch Ness
- DN-ARK – Université Montpellier 3 Paul Valéry, France | DN-ARK
- Team Fat Totem – University of Abertay, Dundee | Fat Totem
- Frobot Studios – Staffordshire University | UGENE
- Legendary Muffin – Anglia Ruskin University | Regen
- Ludorum Studios -Staffordshire University | Psych
- Team Polymorph -Staffordshire University -Polymorph
- Stafford Uni Freshers -Staffordshire University - (untitled)
- Static Games -Bournemouth University - Mendel’s Farm
- Team Catalyst -Northumbria & Newcastle University - Phenotype
- Team Diploid -University of Abertay, Dundee - Team Diploid
- Team Summit -University Of Abertay, Dundee - Beings
These twelve teams will present their projects to the judges next month, with four finalists then showing off their wares live at Gadget Show Live 2013.